XXXIX

Word Count: 2,085
Y/N's POV

My eyelids felt heavy, though I fought to open them regardless. I was in a dimly lit room. It looked a lot like David's bedroom. I was tucked in under a large, green blanket featuring the Camp Campbell logo. Yeah, definitely David's bed.
"I guess you're awake now, then.", spoke an expressionless voice. I turned my head to see Harrison sitting in a chair beside me. He was shuffling through playing cards. "You good?"
I swallowed. "I think.", I replied. Harrison tried a sad attempt at a smile. "I'm so sorry."
He shoved his cards into his pocket. "It's not your fault.", Harrison told me. He removed his hat and sat it on the floor. "Preston and I were sort of having problems. I think I pushed him over the edge." Harrison itched his scalp. "I thought he still liked you, so...I've been giving him a lot of grief lately."
I frowned. "Harrison, it's not your fault. Preston has been bugged by Max for over a month by this point. He was bound to burst, eventually.", I explained. Harrison shook his head and sighed. "Besides, Preston's dating you for a good reason. It's because he cares about you. Look at it this way, you're his priority."
"Hah!", Harrison blurted. He slapped his knee, followed by a sigh of frustration. "Y/N, he broke two ribs for you. He took the beating of a lifetime just to avenge you."
"He what?", I asked.
Harrison pinched the bridge of his nose. "Preston is in intensive care. He has two broken ribs.", informed Harrison. His eyes were red and puffy. "He'll be okay eventually, I just-"
"I know.", I tried. "I-I'm so sorry. I can hardly remember what happened. I just was so scared. I didn't know what to do. I should've done something."
Harrison shook his head. He pulled out a tissue from his hat and dabbed at his eyes. "No, then you would've gotten hurt.", argued Harrison. I shrugged. "If you don't mind, I'm going to tell Gwen that you're awake. She said she would take us both up to see Preston, but she wanted to wait until you were feeling alright."
I nodded. "Yeah, I'm okay...a bit dizzy.", I admitted. I slowly sat up. "I think I'll be fine. Where's David?"
Harrison placed his hat back on his head. "Hospital.", Harrison answered.
"Well what about Max?", I continued. "And what about the other campers?"
Harrison rolled his eyes and shooed away my question. "Max is in his tent or something, I don't know.", Harrison rushed. He wrapped one of my arms around his neck and helped me to my feet. "There's no activity today, for obvious reasons. The whole camp is all shook up." Harrison slowly backed away from me. I was able to stand just fine on my own. "Alright, let's go get Gwen."

     The car ride to the hospital was relatively mundane. Gwen would occasionally cut a guy off in traffic and get the golden finger, but that was about it. At one point she turned on the radio, which was a big mistake. She blasted her favorite heavy metal tunes. I remember giving Harrison this "kill me now" sort of look. He chuckled.
Since the nearest hospital was about an hour away, we took a pit stop at a shady-looking gas station. "Alright now, kids," Gwen started, "I'm going to let you loose to go potty and snag a snack. Just, please, don't make me pay for anything that's too expensive." Harrison and I both nodded and climbed out of the car.
The inside of the gas station was far nicer than the outside was. Don't get me wrong, it was still pretty nasty, but at least the shelves looked clean. The checkout counter was relatively nice, and they had an Apple Pay option at the checkout, which to me was a sign of supreme technological advancement- for a gas station, that is.
"What're you getting?", Harrison asked.
I turned to him and shrugged. "How about you surprise me?", I suggested. "I have to pee, anyway."
Harrison smiled. "Sure. Anything in mind?", he followed up.
I chuckled. "Harrison, it's not a surprise if I tell you what I want!", I reminded him. I shooed him away and went to the restroom.
By the time I had finished up, Gwen and Harrison were no longer standing near the checkout counter. I searched every aisle in the gas station for them, but ended up finding nothing. I shrugged and walked out to the car. I hopped in and buckled up in the seat beside Harrison.
"So?", I asked. "What'd you get me?"
I showed Harrison a toothy smile. Harrison took off his hat and pulled out a wand from the inside. "I hereby summon...", Harrison trailed. He stalled for time by waving around his wand and making drumroll noises by hitting it against the back of Gwen's seat. "A pack of Combos!" He flipped his hat, allowing the pack of Combos to fall out onto my lap.
"Wow!", I gasped. Harrison had chosen the standard cheddar flavor. "That's an interesting choice!"
Harrison raised a brow. "A good one?", he questioned.
I tipped my open hand side to side. "Ehh, so so.", I replied. I shrugged. "I mean, I haven't eaten them in a long time, but they're pretty okay."
"Well, it was either those or Cheese Its.", Harrison commented. He sunk back in his seat and loudly yawned. "I got gummy bears for myself."
I flicked Harrison on the head. He winced and smacked my hand away. "Hey, you can't fall asleep!", I scolded. Harrison rolled his eyes. "We're almost there!"