A Duke and A Damsel--Introduction

Even if you skip the author's note, please read the disclaimer below.***

Hey Wattpadders! I know I really need to stop starting stories before completing my other ones, but every time a new idea hits me, I can't seem to resist :P I have always loved historical romances and this story was inspired by a series of letters I had written for a school assignment almost 4 years ago. I have kept the letters mostly the same, but tweaked them slightly to fit the story. Originally, they were written around the time period when India was gaining independence from Britain in 1947. The time period has obviously changed here, as will be clear from the intro.

***Disclaimer: Please ignore any historical discrepancies or inaccuracies, and note that all characters and settings in this story are purely fictional. Any relation to a person living or dead is entirely coincidental. Most, if not all, events described in these letters are fictional as well, probably even a bit exaggerated.

As always, I would appreciate any form of feedback. Please vote and fan if you like it, and comment even if you don't. I know I finally managed to write relatively long chapter, I really hope I can keep it up! Thanks for reading!

A Duke and A Damsel

Introduction

-----

You are about to read an exchange of letters between two friends during the early 1800s. The correspondents are Arjun Sen and Lord Blake Percival Carstairs, recently named Duke of Devonshire.

Arjun Sen is a young man who lives in Ballygunj, the richer part of Calcutta. His father is a wealthy businessman who is more liberal and allows his family to attend social gatherings between the British and Indians. It is at one of these gatherings that he meets Blake Percival Carstairs, not yet the Duke, and becomes friends with him.

Lord Blake Percival Carstairs, 14th Duke of Devonshire, is a young man whose family lives in Chowranghee, the British part of Calcutta. His father is a distinguished employee for the British “Raj”. He has recently inherited a title from a distant uncle and therefore returned to England to claim his inheritance. He ends up at Devonshire Castle which is as different from Calcutta as possible.

-----

Lord Blake Percival Carstairs, 14th Duke of Devonshire

Sherwood Manor

Devonshire, England, DV

Arjun Sen

53 Gariahat Road

Calcutta 29, Bengal, India

January 2, 1814

Dear Mr. Sen,

Happy New Year! I just wanted to let you know that I have reached England safely. My return address is as written above in the top right corner. I cannot write more now as I must take a tour of the estate, but please write to me soon.

Yours,

Blake

-----