Chapter 13

Chris POV

We tied the boat to the metal pole and glanced at the building with the strategies burning at the back of my mind. Since this has yet to be targeted by the government, this must be easier.

Madeline huffed besides me. "Why should we save all these people? It's not like we owe them anything."

I rolled my eyes at her words. "We don't even know how to save ourselves either. With more people we can discuss--"

My words was cut off by Madeline, "Where do we discuss the plan when there's so many people? We'll get caught."

"Somewhere." Gemma smirked.

Madeline rolled her eyes at her statement.

"Okay. Whatever. Since we are already here. Let's go save some people, okay?"

I heard two whatevers. Anyways.

So people in this building must be doing their job or in school. Who knows what the government has created.

We stepped in, our footsteps quiet. This is another business district. The setting in this building reminded me of the building we stepped into when we first play catch with the guards. There's a reception waiting. What if...

"Hey, can we ask the reception so that the boss can evacuate the people?" Gemma asked. Great minds think alike.

"I'll do it." Madeline begrudgingly sponsored.

Cool.

Madeline jogged up to the reception and start talking to the lady sitting there.

"Hey, do you know what happened to Martin?" Gemma asked as she watched Madeline.

Martin. Who's that? Oh right, the douchebag.

"Madeline dumped him."

"Oh. Good for him. He deserves more than your sister." The last part came out as a whisper.

"What?!?" Anger flared within me.

Gemma rolled her eyes and shakes her head.

How dare anyone degrade me sister. My sister painstakingly brought me up when my parents died when I was four and now she's critisizing my sister. In front of me too! What kind of logic is that.

I was pulled out of my reverie when Madeline jogged back.

"There's around nine people in this tall building. Ironic right? But the fire alarm would be sounded ... Now."

The annoying sound of fire alarm rang through the lobby. People exiting from the nearest staircase. The lady at the reception started talking to them. Probably repeating the story of what Madeline had said.

The people then looked at us when the receptionist's speech has ended.

The three of us looked at each other.

*

Gemma POV

"Next location, towards your left... yes, turn there."

Chris and I manoeuvred the boat with tad difficulties the weight of ten people. But nothing is impossible when u have perseverance right?

Yes.

I'm right.

First thing first, people on the boat, except the three of us, are actually Science majors. They are smarter than I am. I feel inferior. Well, at least I'm smart while they are smarter. Now heading towards another tall skyscraper. It's getting weird that the sky doesn't change its colour. Like its blue is stagnant the whole time. Even the clouds aren't moving. The cloud with the shape of unicorn had been there since I went in to get the ten people. And obviously, those smarter people didn't realise that. How unobservant of those Scientists. They literally do not have the values of what a great Scientists.

As I row the boat, I can't help think about Claire and what had happened to her. It's weird that she and those other people had actually contributed in what our status currently is. Fugitives. I really wish people back then had been more considerate and careful. Save the environment won't hurt anyone. Well, it will hurt the amount of money you earn but really, you have enough money to feed a family of four, what else would you like?

All of a sudden, the boat tipped to one side causing most of us to fall into the sea due to gravity. Being the unswimmable me, I screamed as I hold on tight to the side of the boat as the icy cold water enveloped my skin. Well, I guess it washes us up since we all I suppose hadn't have a both for quite a long time now.

Madeline, I saw, is still clinging onto the boat, lucky her, her full body is magically still on the boat. In the icy waves of hazardous salty water, I whipped my head around in search for Chris. Where the freak is he? I saw ten heads bobbling up and down in the water, and all of them are the scientists.

"Madeline!" I screamed out as a gush of marine water came running into my mouth.

A faint sound of yes was heard as I was once again plunged into the deep sea. I struggled to stay afloat. "Where's Chris?!"

****
Thanks for reading to the end! :) I know it's short but better than nothing right?
-Em's bestest friend in the whole world x