Chapter 10

Gemma's POV

"We run up the escalators to make people think we're following instructions and going back,then run down the other escalators like it's nobody's business," I instructed.

We can't run now,they will definitely catch us. We then board the escalators silently.

This better work. This has to work.

The guards are now also following us back on these escalators.

As I'm running,I think about what might happen next. What if the guards catch us? Will we be killed as punishment? What happens after the people go robotic? And worse of all...

Will my parents still live?

I've never really been one to think negatively but I can't help it as these thoughts race through my mind. I may never even get to see my parents again!

No. Don't think like that. I try to block out the negative thoughts and focus on the present. Like people say,live in the present,right?

The moment my feet touch the ground,I run down the escalator that is going down. From the corner of my eye,I see Chris and Madeline also do the same.

At least they listen to instructions.

I look back to see the guards still chasing us. They're pretty fast too. Halfway down the escalator,a thought hits me.

"You guys!" I shout at Chris and Madeline to catch their attention. "Jump down from the escalator,roll down but don't land on all fours--it'll hurt you--then run to the exit," I yell hurriedly as I point to the automatic sliding doors several yards away.

I jump down effortlessly and roll down wen landing to prevent any permanent damage to me. Then I head towards the exit.

I turn back and see Madeline and Chris catching up with me. We run until we reach the end of the exit,which leads to a business district.

Ah. That's where they work. Thankfully, it's crowded so we should be able to blend in.

The guards have stopped chasing us,and I can only hope that they've either gotten tired or given up and turned back.

"I know a place where we can hide from the guards temporarily," Madeline says,breaking me from my train of thoughts. "Follow me."

Chris and I both exchange skeptical glances. Ha. He doesn't trust her that much either.

I look back at Madeline,who is now walking towards a corridor. If we don't follow her,we might lose her.

Making up my mind,I decide to follow her and Chris does the same.

She leads us to a corridor--or you mught want to call it a chamber. A very mysterious place.

I look around. There are no windows whatsoever. Painted orange,the place is bathed in a dim,orange glow. An old light bulb shines eerily above us. The air is filled with our shallow breathing as we try to catch our breath.

"We'll just stay here," She declares.

What?!

"No! We can't just stay here! It's easy to find us," I protest. "Any better suggestions yourself?" Madeline sneers. I ignore her. When I continue walking to the end of the corridor,I find them following me as well.

My expedition is lead to an end by a big potted plant in front of the entrance. I peep through a gap to see what is going on.

Inside is like a camp,people sit in rows. In a room nearby,there are others getting injected.

After witnessing what I saw,I sort of suck in a breath and gasp. A guy turns his head in my direction. I see a scar on his right cheek.

My eyes widen and I start to walk away. "Gemma! Wait! You can't just walk away like that! Where are you going?!" Chris whisper-shouts. I come to a halt and face a grey door. There's a label on it that says 'Janitor'.

We need janitors here? This place is really weird.

"Hey,let's see if this janitor can take us in," I suggested to Madeline and Chris. They just shrug.

Ugh. Useless people.

I knock on the door three times before it is flung open by a lady.

She's in her late fifties,with greying hair and some wrinkles on her skin. She's also got a scar like the other guy.

"What do you want?" She asks in a scruffy voice.

"Are you evil?" I blurt out. Madeline gives me an 'are you crazy?!' look,while Chris looks like he just mentally face-palmed.

The woman laughs like that sentence is funny. Well,if I was her,I guess I would be laughing too.

"Everyone has a bit of good and evil in them,my dear. But I'm not as evil as those who injected the people." She replies.

I stiffle a gasp. She knows about the injections?

"How did you get the scar,then?" I asked. She grimaces. "I faked it. Wouldn't want to get caught."

"Um,about getting caught..." I trail off and hesitate.

Here goes nothing.

"Can you take us in temporarily?"
----------------------------------------------------------
Heyyy. That was relatively action-packed. Sorry if this chapter is short. Hope you still enjoyed it,though! :p Oh yeah and excuse any mistakes.
VOTE,
COMMENT,
FOLLOW!!!
-Emmaaaaaaa :) x