Chapter 8

Gemma POV

I sighed unexpectantly, which caused both of my parents to raise an eyebrow at me. My parents always told me not to sigh too much as I'm still young. But the entire episode just now was so... I can't even think of a vocab to represent it. Since when did Chris become so... bitchy?

Wait, let me rephrase it.

Since when has Chris became such a sucker for her sister who had pulled on my hair when I had not even done anything? Is talking to Martin a crime? I don't understand. She's definitely drunk on jealousy. She doesn't even deserve Martin. I feel so sorry for that dude.

I sighed again, which caused both of my parents to raise both eyebrows at me now. Back to Chris, I was starting to think of him as a friend or aquaintance at the very, very least. It all has to blame Madeline. Damn you, Madeline!

An announcement then sounded,interrupting my reverie. "Everyone, please make your way to the cafe." Cafe? You gotta be kidding me. Just in the right time. My stress level has somehow been stepped on the accelerator by someone unreasonable--wait--two someones unreasonable. could eat like a monster when I'm stressed, so be prepared.

I picked almost all of the food laid on the table and devour them silently at a corner while my parents are bickering on which food is healthier. I rolled my eyes at the sight. I mean seriously? My advice to them would be to just eat everything. I continued eating when a sudden sound sounded.

Clink, clunk, clank.

What's that? My scalp pricked at the thought of it being evil. Ever experience this feeling when your sixth sense's tingling on your fingertips and leg hair stands? You should try not to, its an unpleasant sight to see your unwanted hair standing for attention.

My curiosity got the better of me as I headed towards the where the sound had been produced. Noise pollution. I creeped quietly trying not to make an sound. As if I'm the badddie now, huh? There's a translucent wall covering it. Although its a little blurry, I'm still able to make out what's going on.

I gasped momentarily as my eyes widen to the sight in front of me. Bile rises up my throat. I'm afraid I might puke. I almost lose grip of my big plate. Oh my gosh... What are they trying to do to those babies and children? A few people in the small room had their mouths covered with mask, which evidently making them looking like surgeons, evil surgeons. A kick in my gut told me this is bad news. The surgeons are... are... injecting them with something of a bigger size than a normal syringe, with pink LED lights shining in three patches, on their right arm. My jaw unhinged itself and almost dropped to the floor. Blame it on my genes for not having a big and stretchable mouth. How unlucky.

Without a moment of hesistation, I ran back to my parents as I clutched onto my plate for dear life.

"Mom... Dad..." I stuttered in my speech, "There... There... is something wrong there," I managed to say and point. I placed my plate on our table and my parents followed suit. We this time, the three of us walked cautiously towards the crime venue. Their eyes widened as the scene played out in front of them.

"How... What are they doing?" My dad asked, confused. I shake my head, unable to comprehend as well.

"What's that for though, is it for health benefits or what?" My mother spoke.

The three of us looked at each other, none of us have any answers.

Another announcement sounded, "Everyone, please make your way to the inner room for an injection." I bit my thumbnail worriedly. Just then a movement from the corner of my eye caught my attention. The babies started to move robotically. I gasped. Is that the aftermath of our injection? Yes, yes, it is, a distant part of my mind answered. I exchanged unsettling and uneasy glances with them. As if we have the same answer in our head. Geat minds think alike.

"You need to run." My mom's simple statement made me snap my head to her. My eyes widen slightly.

"You said 'you' what about you guys?" I asked, worriedly. My brain finally functioning,

"We can't run much, you have to go alone," My father agreed with my mom.

"We'll cover for you, you need to leace. You must, save as much people as you can." My mother pulled me towards the elevators with her vice-like grip on my wrist.

"I'll always love you, no matter what," my mother said.

"Me too," My dad supplied softly.

"I love you guys too, I'll come back for you." Determination strong in my voice. Gemma doesn't cry, Gemma doesn't cry. I repeated this mantra in my head.

My parents did not answer, they only gave me a weak, sad smile. I watched them until the elevator doors forbade me to. I'll will come back for them. I'll will. I'll save as much as I can, no matter what.

*

Hey everyone, sorry for the late update, been busy. As for those that have been patiently waiting, I've have a surprise for you pebbles. The next chapter might come up very, very soon. Anyways, next chapter would be full of adventure and sharp remarks. That's all I can give you. I currently am addicted to Lorde's 'Yellow Flicker Beat'. I like the vibe towards it and of course, I'm gonna watch Mockingjay Part 1. Anyways, excuse the mistakes and remember to vote and comment.

-Tempe x