26 - What pain is...

Beginne am Anfang

I yelled for him to put me down and tried to hold onto the door frame in vain. He carried me down the stairs and dropped me unceremoniously onto the sofa.

I scrambled up again. "What if I get hungry!"

"Lunch is in your fridge and I will be back before dinner," he said, casually walking up the stairs, knowing I was sensible enough not to tackle someone so large on the stairs.

"What if you get into a car crash and leave me down here to starve when no one knows I am here!"

"Well, then, you will just have to  expedite your escape plans if that should occur."

I scowled at his obvious mockery and flipped him the bird behind his back as he closed the door.

I listened as he walked across the floor and heard the garage door open and car wheels on gravel then I turned to look at the room full of its mismatched furniture and growled in frustration. At Sand and at myself for being so god damned stupid! 

I had been playing his game, making nice so he didn't murder me. It had all seemed like a dream. Like a reality show that would have my friends jumping out of the cupboards and laughing at me for falling for it. But, without Dominic here, directing this little drama, I was forced to accept my sitatuon as it was. I was being held against my will by a complete phycopath and I had a sinking feeling that this game of his was not going to stay fun.

And his obvious disbelief that I could escape here made me angry.

I spent the next few hours roaming the room. Checking it top to bottom. The stability of the triple paned glass, the seals on the little bedroom window, the ceiling panels. I even considered tunelling out Shawshank Redeption style.

I couldn't help looking at the camera in the corner, wondering if he was watching me, mocking my attempts at finding an escape.

At midday I checked the mini fridge for lunch and growled in frustration when I only found a salad. I decided to watch a movie to calm my mind. The great escape seemed like a suitable idea as I absently chewed on my unsatisfactory lunch.

I wished my laptop had turned up but it was going to be another few days.

In the afternoon I read a book by the window and my mind wandered. How was I supposed to stay here for so long? I was a social person, used to being every night and meeting new people or messing around with my friends. I couldn't remember the last time I had had more that one day not being out.

I found myself dozing when a sound from upstairs woke me. I peeled my face off the glass and listened as the garage door opened.

It was still early but I wondered if Sand had come back early. Maybe his meeting had gone well?

I didn't want to seem overly keen but I did get off the floor and sat on the sofa with my book, planning on acting as if I hadn't cared that he had left me all day. I didn't need him.

I heard movement but not much else from upstairs so I sighed, put my book down and went to the door at the top of the stairs.

I pressed my ear against the wood and was surprised to hear the sound of a Hoover.

This must be the cleaner he was talking about.

I took a few steps downstairs and found myself forming a plan.

I'd show him who couldn't escape.

In hindsight, I really hadn't thought it through at this point. For one, I hadn't even put any shoes on. I didn't know where the nearest town was, I had no food and no survival equipment, so what I did next was impulsive and, you guessed it, bloody stupid.