5: Marriage Woes

Devika went downstairs, thinking about what she should do to secure her safety and her family's future. She remembered that in her last lifetime she always was carefree. Her aunt and her father had never let her worry about anything or do anything taxing. Devika realised that she must become stronger now and support her family, unlike her previous life where everyone supported her.

Devika went in search of her father. He always did a series of exercises every morning to stay fit and was currently in the training area, doing the same. When King Nanda saw Devika heading towards him, he was surprised. Devika had always avoided exercising after learning basic self defence, so seeing her in the training area today was a surprise.

"Little one, what are you doing here today?" Nanda asked her.

"Father, I have realised my mistake. I was too weak and hence accidentally got hurt while rescuing Crown Prince Bhadra Kumar of Gauda. I want to start training as a warrior like you." Devika replied, her small face earnest.

King Nanda smiled and said, "Devika, every child of the royal family undergoes the basic self defence training. That training is hard enough by itself and you used to skip it whenever you can. To train as a warrior is very difficult, it requires patience and endurance. Would you still be willing to take up the training? Think about it once, my dear."

"Father, I understand the difficulties and I assure you that I will stick to the training despite of all the problems. Have faith in me. Please, Father... I humbly request you." Devika spoke, her tone very soft yet firm.

On any normal day, King Nanda could hardly ignore what Devika wanted and when she asked him so desperately, his resistance flew out the window. However he didn't think that she would complete her training. He was sure that she would leave this incomplete but he still gave in to her demands and called his highly decorated general Abhay. He was present in the training area itself, overlooking the training of his lead warriors. He came and bowed to King Nanda showing his respect.

"Rise Abhay. I saw you are training with your lead warriors today. How is the training shaping them up?" Nanda asked him. Devika observed that her father's voice was very friendly when talking with this General. Usually King Nanda had to maintain his kingly appearance and couldn't show familiarity with his subjects. She felt that this person was very familiar, but she couldn't place where and when she had met him.

Devika understood that this person held her father's confidence and belief. She glanced at the General, studying him with serious eyes. She could see there were marks of war left on the back of his hand and his arms. There was a scar on his face from his left eye to his jawline. It made him look scary and sinister. But she could also see the respect that the General's eyes held for her father and she deduced that he was not a bad person. When he looked at her, Devika offered him a smile. Surprised he also gave her a genuine smile in return.

"My daughter, Devika, wants to start training as a warrior. Do you think you would be able to teach her?" Nanda asked him.

"How can I ever turn down your request, Your Majesty?" General Abhay replied.

"Why are you referring to me so formally Abhay?" Nanda asked him. This sentence surprised Devika even more and she looked up at her father.

"Sorry, my friend. Some habits die hard." he replied before turning to Devika. He bent down to her height and said, "Little Princess, I have known you since you were barely a toddler. I had to go away to take care of a small problem and was not able to see you till now."

"It is okay Uncle Abhay. I am pleased to meet you now." Devika replied calmly.

Abhay was surprised at her behaviour. He had expected that his face would scare her a bit. He didn't expect a 7 year old child to be so brave. He laughed loudly and patted her on the head gently.