XX

river
twenty
XX

According to Zuko, gagging had also meant blindfolding. Now she had Iroh permanently attached to her arm. Despite the blindfold, Lelo could see the orange and pinks fading through the sky. Lelo's teeth grind onto her gag in annoyance, feeling the dryness in her mouth making her thirsty.

Softly the blindfold falls from her eyes to reveal the trees that stood strong by the riverbed. The sky above them reflecting in her eyes as she feels herself relax at finally not being in the darkness. Looking to her side at Iroh, she watching his closely as he gestures towards her gag.

Silently she nods slowly in acceptance at his offering. Lelo wondered, always, why Iroh, an ex-general of one of the strongest armies from the most violent nation help kindness on his sleeve. Swirling her tongue around her mouth and over her lips, she can feel the rejuvenation begin for the dryness. Her eyes wander for a moment, looking at the bagerfrogs that had begun leaping from a nearby rock.

"It's it beautiful." Iroh murmured watching the swimming creatures at they pass. He had placed them kneeling by the front of the boat. The Prince standing far behind them, watching the water's edge.

"You don't seem to listen to your nephew very often." She pointed out turning back to watch the sky transform before her eyes. Her movement minimal under the surveying gaze of the Prince as he watched the water. Iroh lets out the quietest of chuckles, smiling at the horizon.

"My nephew is very important to me. I am his uncle...his teacher. He is just a difficult student." Iroh tells her warmly but she can see the troubled brow on his forehead. The water tribe girl rolls her eyes staring out at the waves by the side of the boat.

"He's difficult. Period." Lelo grunted with a snort. Although the view of the sky was beautiful, Lelo felt the bursts of anxiety palpitate inside her chest as her eyes wander to the shore. Iroh sighs in return, patting her hand softly. This time it had been out of comfort. The duo becomes quiet, Lelo's eyes wandering the shore's as the pirate leader joins the ship.

"Shouldn't we stop to search the woods?"

"We don't need to stop. They stole a waterbending scroll, right?" The pirate hmm's in agreement to the Prince. Zuko turns back to the front of the boat, "Then they'll be on the water."

Lelo huffs in annoyance at Zuko's words as the pirate returns back to his ship. Her huff of air blows stray strands of hair out of her face, "For an idiot, he's smart."

Iroh lets out a laugh that surprises everyone on the ship, drawing all attention to the laughing ex-general but Lelo couldn't find the smile as she looked over at him. Turning her head she glances at the Prince who was already paying attention to the back of her head.

The Prince's eyes narrow at the lack of her gag and blindfold. Iroh patting her arm with affection at such a good laugh, his head nodding "Yes. Yes, I understand — It feels good to have someone to talk to. You are much more entertaining than some of the other men on this boat."

"Glad I could amuse." She deadpans, turning her face back to the front of the boat. Iroh ignores her and smiles out at the setting sun once again. The angered grunt of his nephew barely unnerving him as his thudding footsteps walk away.

💧

The sun had set hours ago, the moon hanging in a crescent against the dark sky. No one had moved and Lelo felt it was a fruitless journey. The pirates had begun impatient but no matter how much Lelo glared at him wishing he'd give up, she was impressed by his perseverance. Even if it was for the wrong reason.