Chapter 15

Kyle and I hear voices on the other side of Franklin's door as we come out from behind the bookcase.

"I can't find those children anywhere," Clara announces. "They slipped out of sight, yet again."

I whisper in Kyle's ear, "We have to get to the fairies and fast."

We tip toe down the back staircase, to the kitchen. "Hello children. Where have you been? Your grandmother is looking all over for you," Annabelle says, as she pulls from the oven a large pot roast.

"Yeah Clara, too, apparently," I say.

"Oh dear, what kind of trouble have you gotten yourselves into?" She takes a spoon and tastes the drippings for flavor. "Touch more salt."

"Have you seen her?" I ask.

"Who dear?" It takes her a moment to realize who I mean. "Oh, you mean your grandmother.... She's out in the garden I think, looking for you. Tell her supper will be ready shortly."

"Okay." We race to the backdoor, down the steps and along the pathway to Grandma's garden. I glance behind me to see if Kyle is keeping up when I see Clara standing on the porch with her arms folded. She doesn't come after us.

The garden gate is ajar. "Quick Kyle get inside."

Closing the gate behind me, we sail around the shrubbery gaining an insight as to where Grandmother might be.

Rosemary comes to my aid. "What is it Tayla, you look like you've seen a ghost."

"Much worse than that I'm afraid.... Have you seen our grandmother?"

"Yes of course, she's right over there."

She's on her knees digging up weeds humming on the other side of the fairy mermaid fountain. "Grandmother?"

She stops. "Oh, there you two are. Clara has been looking all over for you.

"We know."

"Well then why are you hiding from her?"

Kyle squats down near her, saying, "Because Clara is a bad lady."

"Oh nonsense. There isn't a bad bone in her body."

"But it's true. She has Lilly locked up in the attic –"

Grandmother sits up. "Children haven't we been over this already. Lilly isn't a fairy, and she isn't a mermaid either; she's an unusual creature I'll give you that. More like a mischievous nymph or Fae if you ask me." She goes back to her digging.

"Grandmother how can you say that? Just because someone looks different doesn't mean they shouldn't be treated otherwise." I'm disappointed in her. I thought she would be on Lilly's side. I can tell we will have to pull this off ourselves.

Rosemary comes down to Grandmother's ear saying, "I can see Clara has cast bad magic upon your pretty head, Mara. You would be wise to listen. Clara has fooled us all."

"That's the other thing," I begin. "We found the crystal key."

All the fairies within earshot gasp and move closer to listen in.

"Clara has hidden it the whole time," Kyle interrupts.

"Come now children you're being ridiculous. Clara is my friend. Run along, I'm busy."

"Come on Kyle. Grandmother is no help at all," I say disappointed.

"You're selfish!" Kyle kicks dirt at Grandmother's heels.

I grab my brother's arm before he gets into big trouble. "Kyle that's not nice. Come on."

I see a dirt trail of tears stream down his cheeks. "No wonder mama and daddy didn't tell us about you. You're just a mean old lady who doesn't care."

"Kyle, come on. You're going to make matters worse." I do my best to pull him away.

"Now, you listen here young man. I was kind enough to take you in while your parents are ill, but I have no problem sending you back."

"Good, I don't care!" Kyle runs to the other end of the garden towards the maple tree.

"Oh, dear, that didn't go well now did it?" Rosemary questions. "I'll calm down Mara, we still have some fairy dust left. You go talk to your brother. Don't worry, everything will turn out in the end."

I find Kyle lying on his stomach watching the bugs crawl in the dirt.

"Hey, you okay?"

"Fine, what do you want?"

"Nothing." I sit next to him. "Sometimes adults don't understand, and we have to try and make them. Grandmother will come around you'll see."

"You heard her. She doesn't even care about Lilly—or us."

"But remember what Clara said?"

"What?"

"That she pours Fae dust on Mara to keep her from remembering?"

Kyle turns on his side, propping on his elbow, and considers what I said. "Do you think Lilly might be able to help with that?"

"Maybe? I mean she is the fairy that creates the fairy dust for all the other fairies, isn't she?"

"Okay, I guess." Kyle smiles and stands.

I grab my brother's hand. "Come on, let's tell the other fairies our idea."