twenty eight | the con artist

Start from the beginning

"Look, I ran away to help Aang!" Toph shouted.

"You know what? It doesn't matter. These scams put us all at risk, and we don't need that. We've already got some third-eyed freak after us." Mari cut in trying to help

"Speaking of that "third-eyed freak". I think I've come up with a name for him. What do you think of "Sparky-Sparky-Boom Man" Just think about it." Sokka interrupted, earning the same glare from Aang and Mari.

"We have enough money! You need to stop this!" Katara continued.

"I'll stop when I wanna stop and not when you tell me!" Toph yelled and stormed off.

--

Later that evening, Katara and Toph eventually apologized to one another, Toph agreeing to stop the scamming. However, Katara decided to help Toph undergo one last scam, and then the group would be on their way.

It had been a couple hours since then, and still no sign of Katara and Toph.

"Do you think this scam of theirs should be taking this long?" Aang said growing worried.

"I was just wondering the same thing." Sokka agreed.

"Its getting pretty late. I think we should make sure they're okay." Mari said getting up.

"You two behave." He said setting down his fire nation messenger hawk "Hawky", Sokka had bought earlier in the day, next to Momo. "Appa's in charge."

As the three made their way into the village they noticed the place was extremely empty, as if it had been deserted.

"Something feels off." Sokka murmured.

"I don't like this." Mari responded.

Aang paused, hearing something. He turned around quickly causing Mari to do the same.

The second she turned she watched as a combustion blast shot towards them.

Mari bent a wall between them and the man as Aang tackled her and Sokka behind a statue.

"It's sparky sparky boom man!"

"You guys are gonna need to come up with a new name." Mari breathed.

Another blast was shot at the statue causing the three to go flying.

They continued to run, with the man in pursuit.

"Hes too good. He shoots fire from his brain!" Sokka exclaimed.

"We need to split up. He can't chase all three of us. Duck!" Mari shouted as she spun around and kicked the floor, causing jagged rock to shoot upward in the direction of the attacker.

He deflected it with a blast but it gave time for them to escape, splitting up.

While running, Sokka and Mari found Katara and Toph, running out of a building.

"What's going on?" Top asked.

"Sparky Sp- I mean that blast guy found us." Mari explained.

"Where's Aang?" Katara asked.

Sokka pointed in the direction Aang ran.

The four ran in search of their friend, and eventually made their way back to the sqaure of the city where the large statue was. There Aang was laying, the bald man standing over him.

Katara shot out a blast of water, quickly turning it to ice around the man's head, before grabbing Aang and running off.

"Hey I've thought of the perfect name for that guy, Combustion Man. " Sokka asked while running.

Mari only shook her head.

"Let's get out of here before Combustion Man catches us." Toph said.

"See? It fits so well!" Sokka smiled

--

While they were getting ready to leave. Katara stopped by the river once more to get drinking water and Aang and Sokka were packing up.

"Mari I need your help." Toph asked the girl who was loading bags onto Appa.

"What's up?"

"I need you to write something for me." She said holding up parchment. "I want to write a letter to my parents."

Mari smiled. "I'd be happy to help. Why now though?"

"Katara was right. I do miss them. I just want them to know I'm okay."

Mari nodded and wrote down what Toph wanted.

The two put it in Sokka's messenger hawk's carrying and sent it away before flying off themselves.