Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

Like tonight, was the only time she'd be able to walk away from a party before the sunset which reminded her of something extremely important she had to do. Find Sidney a sitter she could trust. Could she try to poach Lola? Shit she'd try. Could she double the former governess pay? She could dip into Sidney's trust for the expense but would Irvine authorize it. She had some doubts since the man wanted her to fail.

At seven, Tulip would tidy up the kitchen while Sidney was preparing for the night. Seven-thirty she'd get situated on the bed next to Sidney and read to her. The girl told her it was what her mom did and she missed it. It was a detail she tearfully shared while they were making out the routine.

Tulip added 'read at before bedtime' to the schedule without thinking twice.

"Bedtime comes too fast." Sidney said through a yawn as she lay back on the stack of pillows.

"Goodnight, Sidney." Tulip softly spoke adjusting the pastel rainbow comforted higher up the girl's body.

"Can I ask you a question?" She quietly asked before Tulip switched off the lamp.

"Always."

"What else can I call you." Sidney said up. "Cause I don't really feel..." She stopped, looked down as she fiddled with the hem of the top sheet. "Mom said calling an adult older than twenty-five by the real name is rude and I don't....want to be rude to you anymore."

Tulip took a measured breath at those words. First, it was her realizing that the little girl thought calling her Tulip was rude and she was fine doing that for the first couple of weeks in June. But now she hadn't wanted to do it anymore. Did that mean Sidney was getting closer to loving her.

Stop, don't get ahead of yourself. She's just being nice because you're feeding and caring for her.

"I don't know." Tulip's hand froze on the lamps off switch. Telling the truth and being honest. It was another principle she read in her parenting book. "Do you have anything in mind?"

Sidney nodded eagerly. "I do. My Albanian boyfriend back in New York calls his mom MeMe and since you're my tummy mummy it should work. Plus, its pretty. I like pretty words. Like euphoria, serendipity, elixir...."

Tulip blinked a couple of times taken aback by the information that had been flung at her. She interrupted the girl's tangent with the first detail. "You have a boyfriend?"

"Yeah." She answered happily sitting up on her haunches. "Armend and I have been friends since kindergarten. He's a boy and my friend so I made him my boyfriend."

"I don't...think that's ...how it works."

Sidney's head tilted, her braid fell to the side. "It's not."

"No." Tulip shook her head. "You can't make someone your boyfriend.

Sidney shrugged unfazed.

"And I like MeMe." Tulip gestured for her to lay back down and Sidney did as she was prompted. "Now, sleep. We have a big day tomorrow."

Sidney smiled brightly as Tulip pulled up her covers. "Camping day! Finally."

"Yes. Finally." Tulip couldn't help but smile also. She clicked off the lamp. "Goodnight, little one."

"Goodnight, Meme." Sidney whispered, with her eyes closed already surrendering to sleep.

Tulip basked in the moment with misty eyes before slightly closing the door behind her. All those late nights studying parenting materials and bonding breakfasts that consisted of listening and nodding was starting to pay off.

Unfortunately, her glow of satisfaction was short-lived one she attached her work phone to the charger and saw a text.

Unknown Number

This is Jasper. I got your number from Paisley. We need to talk. In person.

Tulip hissed. "Now, you want to talk. Ten years too late."

She sat the phone down and sauntered to the bathroom. She was going to need a long bubble bath to soothe her nerves tonight and if she was calling anyone after that it wasn't going to be Jasper Young.

She pulled her braids up in a high bun thinking two things; fuck Jasper and his text.

Should she contact Jasper back?

Do you think Meme is a good title for Tulip?

Should Tulip try to poach Lola for her new employment or get her own sitter for Sidney on the days she has to work late?