Eighteen

A flash of lightning zips across the dark gray sky, and the crack of thunder following is so close the ground shakes. My legs wobble underneath me, and I stare up a massive wall. The torrential rain beats against my face, hiding the sweat forming on my brow. It's said the wall is no higher than a two-story rooftop, but to me, it looks like a mountain.

"I'm not sure I can do this," I say, wiping my palms on my wet trousers.

Greer stands to the side of the wood-planked monstrosity with her hands on her hips. "If you won't overcome your fear, then the army isn't for you."

For the past week, we've stood in this very place, having this exact conversation. All the rest of the new soldiers completed the obstacle course and moved on to the mess hall for lunch. But I've not conquered the first hurdle. Every time I try, my limbs freeze and the instinct to look down wins. I've not made it more than a few steps up the wall before giving into my greatest fear.

"I'm just questioning the safety of these ropes." I take the thick twine and shake it. "So many people have already climbed this. What's to say it hasn't weakened the hold?"

"At this point, the worst that's going to happen is you're going to fall ass-first into a deep pool of mud. Climb over or move on to the stables!"

I jump and turn my attention to the short man with a booming voice. He stands to the other side of the wall—his beefy dark-tan arms folded over his chest. Rain drizzles down his closely shaven head, and his expression frozen in a scowl. Greer is a ray of warm sunshine and a bouquet of wildflowers compared to Drill Sergeant Wel.

"Fine, I'll do it," I say.

The tiny fibers of the rope prick into my hand, and I place one foot on the wall, stomping it twice for good measure. With a deep breath and a hop, I pull my other foot up. The rope shudders with my weight, and I grip it tighter. Moving one hand over the other and with tiny shuffling steps, I climb. I focus on the knots in the wood, setting small goals upward.

"Are you actually going to do it this time?"

I know I shouldn't look away, but I do. Leif stops beside Wel, and the two nod in greeting. Normally, I wouldn't think anything of it except Wel's brown eyes light up, and he cracks a tight-lipped smile. Leif one-ups his smile with a wink, and Wel bumps his hip into my best friend's.

"Keep moving, Elle," Greer barks.

My gaze shoots down and my arms tremble with a ferocity that loosens me grip. My ass hits the ground with a thump, splashing mud and water all over me. The fall felt like it took forever, but when I spot my muddy imprints on the wall, I know I didn't make it very far. It was another pathetic attempt.

"Go grab your lunch and head for the pigpens. You're a damn disgrace, soldier." Wel marches off the course, but not before him and Leif exchange another grin.

Greer stares at me with her arms over her chest, making no attempt to help me as I slosh through the muck to my feet. "I'm serious about overcoming this," she says. "It is a qualifier to place in a regiment. Kyron won't take you if you don't climb this wall. And honestly, it would be a shame because you are exceptional in every other way. We could use more soldiers with your pure determination."

My breath hitches and my jaw drops. Our verbal exchanges have increased since I began training, clipped orders mostly. Run faster, stay focused, you got this—general phrases she spouts at ever new soldier. Never has she taken it to a personal level, until now.

"I promise to put my all into overcoming the fear," I say.

With a nod, Greer walks away, and Leif takes her place.