Chapter 8: Bittersweet New Year

Jon had driven the both of them back to his apartment, tucking Lin in with water and aspirin next to the bed for his hangover as soon as he woke up and climbing in next to him. 

Three hours later, Lin was still asleep. Jonathan got up, careful not to wake him, to make some coffee and get work done on his laptop. 

An hour later, Jonathan was talking on the phone when Lin shot up in bed. He shifted the receiver away from his mouth—"Hold on. Hey!"—only to see Lin fall back in bed and start sleeping again.

It was amazing what he slept through. Jonathan broke a plate while cooking in the kitchen, vacuumed his entire apartment, and then decided to draw a sharpie mustache on Lin's face.

Finally, Jon shook him awake. "Lin. Lin. Babe! Wake up."

Lin mumbled something in his sleep and rolled over.

"Fine. We'll have to take drastic measures." Groff pulled back all the sheets and tilted his water bottle so some water dripped onto his face. Lin's eyes shot open, him spluttering and reaching for the sheets. 

"Uh-uh, no. You can't stay in bed all day."

"Watch me." Lin sat up to grab the sheets only to be greeted by Groff giving him a kiss. "Mm, that's a good way to be woken up."

"Yeah? Maybe we can make it a regular occurrence, then," Groff said, running his fingers along his back and kissing his neck which caused a small moan to escape Lin's lips. Then Jonathan quickly pulled back before he could hold him closer and got up.

"Oh, that's not fairrr!" Lin called after him, Jon looking over his shoulder with a smirk.

~ time skip: that night, groff's apartment | brought to you by king george's spit ~

Lin was resting his head in Groff's lap, Jon playing with his hair as they watched Moana together and Lin hummed along to the songs.

Ring, ring.

"Sorry, I have to get this," he said, seeing it was Vanessa. He closed the door behind him. When he came out, he looked like he was bracing himself for a freakout from Jon.

"Hey... V wants me to spend New Year's with her. We kind of have a tradition where we go out and book a hotel in Times Square for a few nights with my sister and her husband." He paused, a look of uncertainty on his face. "Is that okay?"

"Of course it is! You should totally go. I don't want you to ever feel like I'm holding you back."

"Okay." Lin smiled at him gratefully, curling up next to him again. "You're the best boyfriend anyone could ask for."

To: KingDiggs

Groffsauce: Hey, Lin's going to be with his wife for New Year's. Can we throw an extra New Year's party early for him?

KingDiggs: I'm always down for more parties. My place, tomorrow night, 10?

Groffsauce: Sounds good! Thanks so much Dav

Groff smiled and grabbed Lin's hand. "Hey, Daveed is gonna throw an early New Year's party for you."

"For real? That's so sweet of you guys, you didn't have to do that," Lin gushed, lifting his head to look at Jon.

"The best boyfriend anyone could ask for definitely had to do that," Jonathan responded, tracing feather-light circles on Lin's arm with his finger.

"You're so cute." Lin locked eyes with Jon, who stuck his tongue out at him but couldn't help feeling all mushy inside looking at his lovely Linnamon roll. He pulled him closer and kissed his head.