Chapter 19

Sitting in the window of Chris' car, I scanned the roads making sure that I didn't miss the turnoff to the hiking trail. "This one," I told Chris, pointing to the left.

"You're positive?" Stiles asked from the back seat. He insisted on coming; I was okay with it, Chris, not so much. I feel like Stiles got enough training in the FBI to be able to handle himself.

Chris turned into the little parking lot, and I opted to climb the rest of the way out of the window. I couldn't waist any time. "Slow down," Chris grabbed my shoulder, stopping me from racing down the trail. "I know what you're thinking, but we have to be cautious. We don't know what these things are or what they're doing."

"So, what's your plan?" I wasn't usually the rush in and wing it type, but right now, I am.

"That's where I come in," Stiles buckled a bulletproof vest around his upper body. "We're going to act like normal hikers. But when we get to the spot where those guys stopped you, I'm going to act like I'm affected by it. When they come out, you and Chris are going to take them down and find out what they want."

"What's the vest for?" I questioned.

"We've been testing it, it's supposed to stop werewolf claws from cutting into us, among other things," Chris informed me holding one out for me to put on as well. "I know you know what you're doing, but I'd rather not risk it."

I took the vest giving it a once over before pulling it on over my head. "I get it. Stiles, your plan, kind of sucks. But it's all we've got."

"Thanks," Stiles gave me a dull look. "You lead, you know where you're going. Be ready, but don't make it obvious."

With a quick nod, I began leading us down the path. Slowly I noticed the trail was littered with the wolfsbane, starting with only a couple before every other native flower was no longer there, leaving only the invasive wolfsbane. "It's everywhere." I gasped out.

Stiles began to cough behind me, and I turned to check on him. "Stiles? Are you okay?" Chris asked, stepping up and resting a hand on his back.

"C–Can't breath," Stiles gasped out, holding his neck. He gave me a wink before dropping to his knee.

"Is your friend alright there?" A voice asked from behind me. My fists balled and turned white; I wanted to put a bullet in every one of their heads.

"Is that them?" Chris mouthed. I ever so slightly nodded, resting my hand on my hip. "Take them down." I didn't hesitate as Chris gave me the go-ahead.

I spun on my heel, turning to face the three men, pulling my pistol from my side and fired, aiming for their legs. I picked off the lean one and the fat one, but the medium built rushed at Stiles, dodging the bullet I sent at him. I growled under my breath as he rushed towards us, not happening. I charged at the man using my body weight to slam into him and throw him on the ground.

He let out a yelp as we landed on the ground and began to roll around fighting. I felt his claws dig into the vest, and I mentally thanked Chris. I gripped my pistol in hand before smacking it into the man's head. He was stunned for only a second, but that second was long enough for Chris and Stiles to pull him off of me and contain him.

"Are you okay?" Stiles asked, holding a hand out to help me up.

"I should be," I huffed, I felt like the wind got knocked out of me, but nothing more. "So, where do we start? Torture or torture?"

"Bite me," The medium build man that Chris was kneeling on top of spat.

I smirked before slamming my foot into his stomach. "Don't tempt me," I growled.

"Maybe, I should handle this," Chris said, smirking at the man rolling around in pain. "You and Stiles need to get some of the wolfsbanes back to Deaton. I'll get as much information out of them as I can."

"Chris–"

"Hey, I'm an Argent too. I can handle these guys; I've got years of experience." Chris gave me a devilish smile.

"Come on; I've got plenty. We need to move." Stiles grabbed my arm, beginning to pull me along with him.

"Save some for me!" I called to Chris as I followed Stiles back down the trail. I wanted a piece of those dirtbags, but saving Derek is our primary mission.