Chapter 24

I sat back on the floor, my back hitting the side of the bed. His mate, Derek's mate; I was Derek's mate. The words brought both fear and comfort to me; I have spent nearly my whole life hunting werewolves, so to be one mate was possibly the strangest feeling I've ever experienced. Since coming to Beacon Hills, I knew everything would be different; this different kind of difference was harder to wrap my head around.

"I'm sorry," Derek muttered. I snapped my head up to look at him, finding a sad look on his face. "I should have kept it to myself for a while longer."

"How long have you known?" I asked, knowing that he had to of kept this from me for a while now.

"I had a weird feeling when we first met, but I pushed it aside when you said that you were looking for Chris. But when everything you said would push my buttons, and I couldn't stop myself from watching you every chance I got, I couldn't stop thinking about you. I had a feeling. We'd touch, and I felt my wolf telling me that you were the one." Derek sighed, holding his head in his hands. "I started to try and flirt with you as cautiously as I could, knowing that I could scare you off."

"So you've known for almost two months now," I laughed, shaking my head, "You're only telling me now because I caught you shifting at a weird time. How long were you planning on keeping this from me?" I ran a hand through my hair, closing my eyes and leaning my head back against the edge of the bed.

"Is it hard to believe that I didn't want you to react like this? I know how you are; you constantly tell me how scared you are of losing people; I didn't want to give you a bigger reason to be scared of ever losing me." Derek's tone of voice told me he was hurt; I don't blame him. "I didn't want to lose you." His voice came out shaky, and the pain was evident.

"Derek," I sighed, looking at him. His shoulders shook as he quietly cried, holding his head in his hands and pulling at his dark hair. I carefully moved over to Derek, taking his hands in mine pulling them away from his head; I pressed light kisses to his knuckles. "Derek, look at me."

Slowly Derek looked up at me, his eyes red from crying. I weakly smiled at him as I released his hands to grab his face gently. "I will always be scared of losing you because you mean so much to me. Even if this hadn't turned into anything more than us being friends, I would have been scared to lose you. Because every single time you've looked at me, said something to me, and gotten hurt, my heart has melted. I feel so safe with you; Derek and I haven't felt safe in a very long time." I rested our foreheads together, feeling tears stream down my face.

"I'm not mad at you, not in the way you may think I am. I am mad at you for not telling me sooner because had I lost you the other day, I would have never forgiven myself." I chuckled sadly as Derek's hands moved around my waist to pull me closer to him.

"Now that you know, do you think it would be okay if we shared a bed tonight? I've been a little cold lately," Derek winked a large smiled on his lips.

I shook my head, placing a kiss on his lips. "Only to keep you warm." I laughed.

"No promises," Derek brought our lips together, and I couldn't help but smile. I was scared out of my mind, but that was nothing new. I was safe with Derek, and I knew that.