Chapter 26: Searching

Start from the beginning

"Any new boys?" I ask Rya jokingly. She's not much of a romantic.

"I hope not." Dad laughs. "Already got one grandson." He says jokingly staring at Colby. Colby clears his throat and looks at me.

"No there's not." Rya says, clearly annoyed.

"You don't need a man to be happy, hunny." Mom says pinching her cheek. She rolls her eyes and finishes her food.

"I'm going back upstairs." She says as she stands up. She puts her plate in the dishwasher then runs up the stairs.

"We found a couple." I tell them.

Mom and dad both look at me and Colby. "Really?" My mom says surprised with her eyebrows raised.

"Yeah. It's two women. They're both teachers who got married a couple years ago. We wanted to talk to you guys before we called them."

"Oh, so you're really serious about this adoption thing?" My dad asks.

I look at Colby and nod my head. "It's what's best for him."

***

I finish making Colby's palette beside my bed. We have a blowup mattress, and while it's shorter than he is, it's comfier than the floor.

He does his homework as I take myself to my bathroom. I lock the door behind me and quickly undress. I brush my teeth as the shower heats up. I get in and relax under the water. My favorite thing after a long day is a hot shower. It helps me calm down and untwine.

I bathe and wash my hair after standing for about five minutes. I step out and dry off, then put my robe on.

I brush my hair out before doing my skincare. I've been blessed with good skin this pregnancy, but I've also kept up with washing my face and moisturizing.

After I finish my nightly routine I walk back out. Colby was now laying on the mattress, his eyes closed. I was only in there for about thirty minutes but I guess it was enough time for him to sleep.

I grab a tank top and some pajama shorts then go back into my bathroom and change. After doing so I finally get to lay down.

I curl up into my comforter, laying on my right side. Cain has been sitting there lately so it's more comfortable. Well, as comfortable it can get.

I stare at my wall, trying to go to sleep. My thoughts keep racing and my anxiety is high just from Colby being in here.

I close my eyes, focusing on sleep as I lay there. Then, Cain decides to start a soccer game in my uterus.

I groan as he kicks and moves around, his arm jabbing my ribs, his butt right on my bladder. It's still crazy to me how I can feel every body part move.

"You okay?" Colby whispers. I jump from his voice, I thought he was asleep.

"Yeah, he's just kicking a lot." I sigh, leaning up. Colby does the same and looks at me. He then gets up and gets on my bed.

"What are you doing?" I ask him as he makes me scoot over.

"I'm talking to him. Now go to sleep so I don't feel embarrassed." He laughs.

"John wouldn't be happy with you in my bed." I tell him as I lay back down.

"Well, John can suck my dick." He chuckles. I roll my eyes at him.

I lay my head on his chest as he stays leaned up against my bed frame. His hand goes to my stomach, caresses it. His other goes to my hair, doing the same.

I can feel Cain come closer to his hand and kick right beside it. Colby laughs and rubs his thumb over the spot.

I finally feel my eyes closing front the comfort. I smile as I hear Colby's voice, then slip off into sleep.

-Colby-

I look down at Amara as she softly snores. All she needed was to feel comfort. That's all I should of done for her. I just needed to be here to comfort her and support her. But, because I left, she's giving Cain up for adoption. I understand she can't trust me, I can't trust me. I want my son though. I want him to grow up in my arms. That's I want.

I slowly move Amara over, covering her up. I get out of bed and grab my blunt out of my bag. It's two a.m, nobody would be up now. Plus, I need it. It's the only thing that helps.

I open her door quietly, then tip toe down the stairs. I open the front door, making sure to keep it quiet. I sit on the step and light the blunt. I then take a long puff from it, relaxing as I blow out.

I'm a screw up in so many ways. I left her, two different times. After promising her I wouldn't do it again. Who does that? Who looks at the girl he love and tells her he can't be there for their son. How could I do that to her? All I had to do was be there for her. I failed at that.

I hear the door open and jump, hiding the blunt under my hand.

"Relax, it's just me." Rya laughs. I chuckle and look at her. She sits next to me, sighing.

"Why are you up?" I ask her.

"Why are you?" She laughs.

"Amara couldn't fall asleep so I sat with her." I tell her, taking another hit.

"Give," she points to the blunt.

"Aren't you like 13?" I say with my eyebrows furrowed.

"I'm 15, so shut the fuck up and pass the blunt." I roll my eyes at her response but hand it to her.

She quickly takes a hit then gives it to me, "I needed that." She laughs.

"You needed it?" I say sarcastically.

We sit in silence for a couple seconds before she speaks. "Are you really going to let her give up Cain?" She asks as she looks at me.

My eyes water but I look away, "It's her decision."

"But you could stop her. She doesn't think she can take care of him."

"I can't stop her. I shouldn't even be here right now. I shouldn't have put her into this mess." I push the ashes of the blunt against their porch. I just needed a little high.

"Do you want him?" She asks quietly, almost like she's afraid of the answer.

"I want both of them." I bite the inside of my cheek.

"Did you tell her that?"

"I told her I support her and her decisions. I don't need to complicate things more. I love Cain, I love her, but it's too late." I stand up and stretch, putting a hand out helping Rya up too.

"I think you should tell her how you feel. She loves you, Colby. She just doesn't know yet." She shrugs.

I laugh, "What are you? Psychic."

"Something like that." She smirks and walks back into the house.