Chapter 23: An Eye for an Eye

I can't stop thinking about her. I know I can't be a dad. I can't put the risk out there. But, I feel horrible. I feel like I just left with no excuse. She has no clue. She's probably so scared and confused.

I have been back home in a week. My mom has texted me and warned me that she's going to call the police. I just ignore her. She can't do anything that will make me come back. Sam's family has been incredibly supportive. They know about Amara and they know why I'm not with my mom. They make sure I'm okay.

I haven't seen Amara at school in two weeks. I really hope she's okay. I've seen Madeline and John both around school. Neither of them have acknowledged me but I know they're upset, too. Amara's 27 weeks now. I have an app that tracks her pregnancy, lame I know.

"Bro, did you hear me?" Oscar asks me. I look at him and raise my eyebrows. I forgot I was even having a conversation with him. "I said, your baby mommas boyfriend is coming over here." He nods his head to behind me. I look and see John walking straight towards me. I sigh and turn around to face him.

"What?" I say.

I can see him jaw clench, "You're really fucked up, you know that right?" He says.

"Look, I don't have to explain myself to you. I made my decision." I shrug, trying to pretend like I don't care.

"How can you just," he takes a breath, "How can you not give a fuck?!" He yells.

"Dude calm down." Oscar tells him.

"No! Amara has gone through months of hell because of you. She's cried herself to sleep because of you. Her whole life is ruined! She fucking dropped out of high school because she's pregnant and can't handle it. And you get to go on your merry way pretending like she doesn't exist."

I clench my teeth together and look away from him. I didn't want to deal with this.

"So you don't think this fucked up both of our lives?!" I yell at him.

"You don't give a shit about them, Colby! Man up and take some responsibility."

"Why do I have to give a shit when she's just some bitch I knocked up?" I chuckle. I didn't mean it, it's just an act. If I act like I don't care, people will believe it.

I can see his face turn red. Before I know it his arm is swinging towards me. I try to dodge it but he hits my eye. Before I can respond he's walking away. Anger builds up inside me as I watch him. I look at Oscar, who's hand was to his mouth in shock.

I turn around and put my head on my car, groaning in frustration. I'm tired of this. I'm tired of the fight.

I open my car door and get in, slamming it. Oscar steps away from my car as I turn it on and put it in reverse. I just needed to get out.