Chapter 5: Green Light Go

I walk into my school, feeling exhausted. Lately I've been extremely tired. I'm on my usual schedule but my body is just always tired.

"What's up with you?" Madeline asks as she reaches my locker. I look at her and sigh, "I'm just really tired right now. I have been lately."

She frowns and leans against the lockers, "Maybe you should go home if you're really not feeling well." I shake my head no, "It's Friday, you know I have tests every Friday. I can't miss school."

I get the books I need and close my locker and face her. "Well maybe you should try taking active metabolisms or something. They help boost you. I used to take them."

"Maybe. I'll tell my mom to get some and see if it helps."

The bell rings, cutting off our conversation. We say our goodbyes and I head to the library.

I have peace and quiet for about thirty minutes before my studying is interrupted by Colby.

"Pst." I hear him whisper. I don't break my eyes away from my book, trying to ignore him.

"Amara. Hey," he whispers again. I sigh and turn farther away from him. I hear his sigh, followed by his chair moving.

He walks in front of my table, sitting down in my line of sight.

I roll my eyes and look up at him. "I already told you to leave me alone."

"Well, I've already told you it's not going to happen." He smiles and sets his book on the table.

I watch as he flips through his pages. "If you're not here to talk to me, why are you here?" I ask him.

"Because I like being in your presence." He chuckles.

"Clingy much?" I mumble. He glances at me and laughs.

We stay silent for about 10 minutes, focusing on our homework. I can feel him look at me time to time. I feel tense in my seat, nauseous almost.

"Why don't we hang out?" He asks out of no where.

"Not happening."

"Why?"

"Because you're a player."

"But I want you."

"Correction, you wanted me. You had me. Then you told me to forget it ever happened." He lifts his head up from his book and groans.

"No, I want you."

"Well, too late." I shrug.

"What do I have to do to prove it?" I look up at him, but before I could respond I feel the urge to throw up. I stay silent as I try to keep the feeling down, but it was too late.

I quickly get out of my seat and run to the bathroom in the library. I lean my head over my toilet and throw up. I feel my hair being pulled back, when I look up I see Colby standing beside me with his face scrunched up.

I take a deep breath and collect myself, "you didn't have to do that." I flush the toilet and sit down against the wall.

"What made you throw up?" He asks ignoring my statement. I shrug and put my head on my knees.

"You should go home, come on I'll drive you." I nod and get up, washing my hands and mouth. He gives me a piece of gum and we leave the bathroom. He walks over to our school Liberian and tell her what's happening as I grab my things.

Colby comes back and gets his book bag, "We can stop and get you some sprite or whatever." He tells me. "You don't have to do that." I deny his offer.  "There's a lot of things I don't have to do, but will do." He shrugs.

We make it out to his car after signing out. "I could of drove myself." I tell him and get in.

"I know, but if you got sick you wouldn't have anyone there to help you."

I sigh and buckle my seat belt, laying my head on the window.

He cranks his car up and places his hand on my legs, rubbing it slightly. I feel butterflies in my stomach and my cheeks heat up.

It's just a game.

We pull out of the school parking lot and he heads into town, stopping at a red light. He looks over at me and smiles, "That was really gross." He jokes. "You didn't have to witness it. Probably not what you want to see coming from someone you've had sex with." I laugh. The light turns green and he lets off the break, speeding up.

I look out the window, seeing a car speed towards us. "Colby!" I yell. He looks over and puts his arm in front of me, before the car hits us.

I feel pain around my body as I watch the world spin.  The glass shatters as the car hits us, cutting my face and my arm as I try to shield myself. Colby's car flips, landing us upside down. I feel a burn on my face from the airbag and my arm is completely numb. I feel intense pain on the right side of my body.

I try to remain calm, but I soon start panicking.

"Amara," Colby says. I glance at him but my eyes shut, leaving the darkness to fill me.