Chapter 9: Voyage

To say the voyage to find the blue star was easy would be a lie

Amelie didn't think too much of it when Coriakin told them to follow the star to find the island. She figured that a star can never move – it's always in the sky. Easy to follow.

That is when you can actually see it.

Amelia's eyes were scrunched tight in her effort to ease the torrential rains. 14 days they had been sailing in the storm, and still they caught no sign of the blue star. All they knew was cloud cover and lots and lots of grey, dark water. Her drenched hair was whipped into her face as the boat took another wave to the starboard side. Her body, still aching with the pains of the slave traders, wasted no time in reaching an arm out to lift the water on the deck and throw it back into the ocean. Some of the crew sent her thankful looks, but she could do nothing to take away the rains. The Silvanus did not permit it.

She noticed several crew members struggling to hold the wheel to keep them on course. She rushed over and grabbed one of the pegs and hoisted it with effort. The wheel remained in its position, but she knew the moment she let go, it would spin them right off course.

She groaned as she realised how comfortable the others must be below deck. Caspian, Edmund and Drinian were discussing the route in the captain's quarters while Lucy and a little girl (who Amelia was sorry to admit she hadn't met yet) who stowed away on the ship slept soundly in their beds. Alright, perhaps no soundly.

She was offered to stay below deck, Edmund had almost insisted on it. But she felt terrible leaving the crew without at least someone to somewhat lead them. She'd been resting for too long now. A storm was just what she needed.

"Don't let your hand slip there m'lady! We got to keep this wheel straight!" The young faun next to her shouted.

She nodded, "I got it!" She looked out over the deck. It was easy to notice the crew's strength falling, "Keep at it men! All storms pass!"

Drinian marched onto the deck, his bald head covered in a black cloak that did nothing to shield him from the downpour, "Lady Amelia!"

Amelia groaned, her arms shaking with effort, "Yes Captain?"

Drinian finally saw her by the wheel and quickly walked over, his feet not losing balance, "The Kings have requested to take shelter in the Queen's room!" He yelled over the storm, "I'll take it from here!"

Amelia nodded gratefully. She had been the only one leading the crew for the past 3 days, her body begged for sleep. "You'll have to take over my grip on the wheel!"

He nodded, his hands sliding over hers, taking their place before she released. The wheel did not move. She patted him on the shoulder, "Good luck Captain!"

She rushed below deck, her body shifting left and right with the movement of the ship. Lucy's room was right at the end of corridor, separate from the crew's sleeping quarters. She pushed the door open with a sigh of relief, only she did not see two sleeping girls like she expected.