23. midnight swim

CHAPTER 23: MIDNIGHT SWIM

                            Saturday, June, 3rd 2017 - ???, California

          Harry parked the car on the side of the street behind us. We sit in silence, simply enjoying each others company. The only sounds are the waves that roll up the beach only to disappear the next second and a few cars rushing by in the background. Every now and then a bird appears and chirps.

 A refreshing breeze blows around and makes the warm night slightly more cool. A salty taste lingers in the air. Harry and I sit on the small stone wall and stare out at the ocean. I dig around in the dry and warm sand with my bare feet.

  "When do you wanna go back?" Harry speaks up and when I turn my head to look at him, he still gazing up at the stars.

  "Go back to where?"

  "Sam and co. You know, join the others."

  "We've been gone for like two days. I don't wanna go back yet."

  "But your birthday is tomorrow. That was the reason why we all went on this road trip in the first place," Harry explains and finally looks at me, "Sam planned this for you. This is his birthday present for you and we...we just left."

  "If you regret leaving so much then you can go back to them. I don't wanna see Sam right now. He gives me a headache." I mumble and look away. It feels like Harry's green eyes burn holes into my skin.

  "You don't love him, do you?"

"I don't think I do anymore." I shake my head, "I don't think if I ever did."

  "I don't think—I think I don't love Jess either." Harry confesses quietly and I hastily look at him but he turns his head away, denying eye contact with me.

 Harry doesn't love Jess? They always look like they are in love so to hear now that he doesn't even love her is shocking news. Harry himself seems embarrassed to admit it.

  "Not at all?" I ask carefully. I can't blame him for fooling Jess when I did the same to Sam.

  "I care for her. Jess is sweet and my parents love her. She is a great girlfriend, a bit clingy. I had fun with her but—," Harry stops himself, "I don't think I was ready to fall for someone else yet so that's why I don't love Jess."

  "So you've been in love before?" I ask him with wide eyes and Harry nods. His hands rub over his knees before he starts fiddling with his fingers again.

  "Yeah, it was more like a major crush, I guess. She didn't feel the same for me but I couldn't really stop crushing on her." Harry admits and his cheeks turn red from embarrassment. He stops fiddling with his fingers and instead hides his face behind his hands. I laugh and pat his back.

  "Why are you so embarrassed?" I laugh and try to peek behind his hands.

  "Because it's pointless to talk about." Harry groans and lets me take his hands away.

  "You're cute." I tell him giggling and take off his fedora to put it on my head. 

 Just when Harry started to drag out his "Heeey" I run away. Harry is quick to get up from the tiny stone wall we sat on and to chase after me. I giggle and keep running away as I unbutton my blouse and let it drop to the floor. When I look over my shoulder, I see that Harry stopped chasing after me when he stood in front of my blouse.

  "Why are you undressing yourself?" Harry questions and picks up my blouse. I keep walking backwards, ready to run away when he chases after me again. But Harry doesn't so I have enough time to take off my shorts.