Chapter 7 - The Plunge

Recap from Chapter 6:

Even in his physical exhaustion, if Eon Jin could not walk, he would carry her and press on. She was his strongest motivation. However, he was not prepared to deal with a lifeless Eon Jin. It was too much for him to bear.

As a reward for eating, also an apology for his commanding tone, he diligently kneaded the strained knots in her muscles. Massage was effective in preventing aches and cramps. ~ end of recap.

Soon after, Tae Pyung and Eon Jin started wading in the waist high deep waters.  The decompressed pressure between the small drains to the main drainage stretch was pushing powerful gusts through.

Being half submerged, Eon Jin felt the chills, as water on her skin evaporated faster. They were in the deeper parts of underground canal, where the sky was no longer visible through the drain grating.  It had to be the afternoon shower, as the temperature of the water dipped a fair bit. 

She cuddled Tae Pyung tighter to find warmth.

They were barely a few metres away from the start of a 500m long, 2m deep narrower drain, where Eon Jin was supposed to to get off Tae Pyung's back to swim in the waters.  However, just as she did, a long thunderous clang echoed from far and rolling gushes of the discharge drew nearer.

Tae Pyung's military instinct kicked in and asked, "What's that?"

Eon Jin referred to some markers on the walls for confirmation and exclaimed, "Shucks, we near the water catchment area.  They shut the wrong valve to divert water flow from the opening of the swelled dam.  That is water discharged right into us!"

The surge of waters was imminently close.  To avoid being slammed against the wall like lifeless dummies by a powerful tsunami, Eon Jin pulled Tae Pyung into the nearest narrow gap in the canal wall to them, as the towering wave submerged them entirely.

The water levels came up to 6m high. With natural buoyancy effect, they surfaced gradually and grasped for air.  Till Eon Jin managed to catch her breath, she realised another powerful suction was pulling her away from Tae Pyung to the adjacent water trench.

No, no, no. Not there please.

The neighbouring channel was a much wider and deeper one which was avoided because swimming in it was far more treacherous.

The gap in the wall was akin to a funnel with the tighter end at Eon Jin's side, leading towards the wide channel on a lower ground. 

Author's Annotation: The gush of the water forced Eon Jin through the opening which led to a lower but wider canal on the other side

She tried to struggle against the pull from water flow. In her fluster, she didn't realise that her leg was caught in a loose unused fish ladder.

The ladder dislodged from its fixture and tipped over to the adjacent trench. It pulled Eon Jin downwards faster than water subsided. It took just split seconds for Tae Pyung to feel the belay tightened and find his sweetheart missing. Being larger in frame, he was unable to move freely, after being pulled to a distance of 50cm from her.