Chapter 2 - The Dash and Her Dashing Dandy

Recap from Chapter 1:

"Eon Jin, there is a miscalculation of the speed the meteorites are travelling. They are expected to hit us today afternoon. Evacuation has commenced immediately."

Trying to maintain composure so as not to alarm her mother and sister, she asked, "Will everyone be in time? What about you?"

"I've docked and will be in the same vehicle picking up Eomeonim and Na-eun. We will have to pray hard for everyone. I'll see you in an hour, baby. I love you." ~ end of recap.

Eon Jin coolly informed Mi Hee and Na-eun that evacuation had been advanced and they had to be ready in 30 min.  Tears of anxiety welled in Mi Hee's eyes.  Though Eon Jin had skipped the gravity of the updates, she guessed that probably the calamity  was happening earlier than expected.  Thoughts ran wild in Mi Hee's head, as her daughters almost pulled her along to head home.  Na-eun ran through their checklist again and again to confirm that they brought the critical items and left behind the useless ones.  They needed to travel light.  

Merely 15 min, another call from Tae Pyung to update his location.

Hurriedly, Eon Jin rushed Mi Hee and Na-eun down to the lobby of their private residence.  An inner voice was echoing in her mind that the situation was extremely pressing, there's no time to waste.  They stood at the porch watching military vehicles loaded with seniors, women and children sped past. 

A soldier driving an empty vehicle alighted and saluted to Eon Jin, "Engineer Son, I was asked to send apologies from the Calamity Taskforce that the VIP trucks are fully utilised.  I will send your family members together with the women and children in your district to the designated shelters."

"Copied. Please send my family to the shelters safely. Thank you," Eon Jin returned the salutation and tried to hustle Mi Hee and Na-eun up the truck. 

Mi Hee rebuffed, "I'm not leaving before Tae Pyung arrives. Not till I know you're in safe hands."

"Eomma please, we have no time for this. We're in the state of emergency. I will be fine, waiting another 10 min alone. Na-eun, please help Eomma onto the vehicle and take care of yourselves. I'll contact you, when I can."

Mi Hee and Na-eun were literally shoved up onto the army truck.  Once Eon Jin bidded them goodbye and saw the vehicle drove out of sight, she sprang into full action mode. 

Ran back to the apartment.

Changed into her full diving suit and track attire.

Checked her items.

Locked her phone into a water proof casing.

Zipped everything into a waterproof bag.

Her phone rang again.  It was Senior Director Choi Won Young.

"Eon Jin, I just came from the meeting with the astrologists. Damn their calculations.  Even with immediate evacuation, we're going to lose 20-30% of the city's population."

"Director Choi, it's unlikely calculations went wrong, but deliberately reported as such.  The people up in the ranks just want to mitigate the citizens' panic, since in any case, we do not have adequate facilities and resources to keep everyone safe until the asteroid impact is over to save everyone."

"Eon Jin Dong-saeng, take care till we meet again. I'm on my way to the lock down."

As the call ended, Eon Jin was surprised to spot a recognisable SUV, Volvo XC90.  A car entirely reflecting the owner's character - safe, reassuring and protect what's important for life.  She sat in the SUV during their many dates - most were boring and reserved like its owner, rarely exciting and romantic.  But at that moment, she desperately needed the warmth of his skin and the comforting tone in his words.