"Maybe I do! So what? Just go away!" She yelled. I was suprised at her snappy response. I felt more annoyance build up. Why won't she let anybody help her?! Why won't she let me help her? She puts up a wall every time somebody gets too close.

"I'm trying to help you, moron!" I shouted, covering up the slight hurt I felt with insults instead.

"And I said I don't need it!" She responded.

"You obviously do need it! Are you blind?!" I pointed to her mangled arms. She looked away. I caught a hint of pure sadness flash across her face before she turned away.

I stared at her for a second, trying to study her expression. I couldn't see her face, so I looked back at her arms. My eyes traveled to her gloves. I thought back to the final phase of the Hunter Exam, remembering the way she refused to take off her gloves. What is she hiding?

Something inside me desired to know, and I reached out for her arm. As soon as my hand grazed her glove, she ripped her arms away. I flinched as she violently winced in pain. I caused her pain. I felt a pang in my chest as guilt flooded me.

"Why do you always wear those. You're always so scared to take them off, even if it means you'll suffer. Why?" I asked her, my tone quiet. I let my annoyed facade fade away as I looked at her with worry. Why does she do this to herself? Why can't she just accept my help?

"I... I-I just like them a lot." She stuttered out. I felt anger boil up inside me. She's lying. She's always lying. I looked to the bandage on her cheek as she was looking away from me.

Leorio said she had that injury before she arrived at my estate.

Before we departed, I asked Kurapika what Leorio meant about "before she arrived." He explained that she wasn't with them the entire time. She had abruptly left the Hunter Exam, and said nothing about why or what she was doing. After she came back, she had the new injury.

"Stop lying! Why do you lie about everything?! You won't even say where you got that injury!" I snapped as I gestured to her cheek. She hesitated to respond.

"I already told you... I fell." She quietly spoke. Would she just give it up already?!

"That's a fat lie! They're all lies! Why do you continue to tell these stupid lies?!" I yelled at her before looking at my lap.

She lies to me, and she won't accept my help. Am I not enough? I just want to help. Why doesn't she trust me? I felt something within me crumble, and a wave of sadness overwhelmed me.

"Do you not trust me...?" I asked softly. I didn't want to seem vulnerable to Korudo of all people, but I couldn't help the overwhelming amount of hurt I was feeling. I had to know.

"I..." She hesitated. I continued to look at my lap, afraid of her answer.

"I... I just don't know!" She exclaimed. My head shot up at her response. So she doesn't trust me? I felt myself shatter. Her tone was lost and distressed, and it only made me feel worse.

"It's just, every time I trust somebody, they hurt me! They crush me! I don't want to feel like that again!" She let out something that seemed to be weighing on her shoulders for years.

Her careless facade had broken as she partially opened up. I started at her in shock. All I could do was wonder who. Who hurt her? Who corrupted her trust?

"Korudo... Please... Just let me help you." I pleaded. I had composed myself a little, as I realized she didn't trust anybody. I felt determined to be the first.

I slowly reached my hand out again, gently touching her arm. She flinched again, but didn't pull away. I slowly moved my hand to the brim of her ripped glove. It hurt me to see her tremble in my grasp, but I continued to peel back the glove. What I saw shattered my heart.