I'm Running Out of Ideas for Chapter Titles!

"You okay? You've been acting weird today." Brendon sat beside Ryan, watching the boy twirl and untwirl his spaghetti noodles.

"What? No, yeah uh I-I'm fine," Ryan stuttered out. He kept his focus on his tray, not paying attention to what was happening around him. All he could think about was what he could get Brendon for his birthday. He was putting a lot of unneeded pressure on himself.

"–an. Hello? Ryan!" The boy snapped out of his thoughts when a hand lightly shoved him.

"Hmm?" He turned to Brendon who was looking at him all concerned.

"What's going on?"

"Nothing. I promise." Brendon studied him for a second before dropping it.

"Wanna come over to my house today? I'm caught up on my homework so you don't have to be bored watching me work."

"Ye- no. I can't." Brendon frowned at the response.

"Why not?" He couldn't actually remember the last time Ryan said no to hanging out.

"I uh have," Ryan struggled to come up with an excuse. "I have some errands I need to run with my dad."

"Oh okay," Brendon mumbled. He didn't completely believe Ryan, but decided not to badger the boy with questions. "What about tomorrow?"

"Aren't you hanging out with Pete and Patrick tomorrow?"

"Yeah, but not all day. We can hang out after?" Ryan was going to ask about his birthday, but didn't want to give away that he knew.

"Yeah. We hang out after." Brendon gave a wide smile, already excited for the next day. Brendon reached under the table and slowly grabbed onto Ryan's hand. He blushed at his boldness and looked off at some random part of the cafeteria.

Ryan smiled, finding Brendon's shyness cute. He intertwined their fingers, watching the boy smile in the process. He continued eating through his lunch, hand tightly holding Brendon's. It was a warm feeling that he could easily see himself getting used to.

~~~

Brendon: I'm gonna cut our birthday plans short tomorrow

Pete: WHAT??? Why?

Brendon: I'm gonna hang out with Ryan

Pete: but he's joining us

Brendon: why is he joining us?

Brendon: you told him??

Pete: maybe...

Brendon: Pete!

Pete: in my defense I thought you would've told him already

Pete: why didn't you

Brendon: I didn't want him to feel like he needed to get me anything if I told him ahead of time he'd stress over  a gift when he doesn't have to get me anything

Pete: I see your point

Brendon: anyway wanna hang out today? Ryan's busy and I have the whole afternoon completely free

Pete: sorry bud I'm going over to Patrick's his parents aren't home and I need my weekly dose of Patty love

Brendon: gross I didn't need to know that

Pete: lol sorry man

Brendon: you suck what am I supposed to do then?

Pete: I don't know you're a smart boy you'll figure it out

Brendon: ass

Pete: always