Chapter 10

The Alpha had swum at a brisk pace, but so did the dragon. They arrived on a massive ship surrounded by countless fleets of boats, each with frantically calling dragons in cages. Under normal circumstances, - Dusk? - would've roared his strongest flames and destroyed everything. But after spending a day with the Alpha, Dusk's mind was filled with no thoughts, but a simple smoky haze. There was a nagging thought at the edge of his mind that this was wrong, that he should go back right this second and ditch the Alpha, but it was but a thought.

  "Come," the Alpha rumbled invitingly. "Into the cage." Dusk tottered in obediently, watching as the dragon hunters locked the door.

  Drago nodded at the Alpha.

  And the fog lifted.

  Dusk heaved and slammed into the side of the cage, then the other side. His brain was disoriented and were full of thoughts not his own and obedience to the Alpha - 

  - the Alpha.

  "What did you do to me?" Dusk roared, louder than a Thunderdrum's attack.

  "I simply showed you the light," The Alpha replied, then dove into the water.

  "Hey, you don't get to leave, you ruffian!" Dusk yelled. He inhaled and shot out massive waves of silver flames and caught many a ship on fire. The men on the ship shouted and jumped, and a few dragons came and lifted them up to the main ship.

  Dusk tried banging against the cage again but it wouldn't budge, only tottered slightly. Snarling, Dusk attacked with a flurry of stabs from his tail at the lock, then shot a burst of flame.

  It melted ever so slightly.

  "How?" Drago leaned in to study the dragonproof metal lock.

  Dusk leaped forward and snapped at Drago with his pincers. "LET ME OUT!" 

  Drago only chuckled menacingly and walked leisurely away. "Take control of it," Drago called to the Alpha.

  There was a slight buzzing in Dusk's ears.

  Dusk felt the now familiar reach of the Alpha and roared, shaking his head frantically. The vines of the Alpha's control sank deep into Dusk's mind.

  And Dusk was no longer in control. 

  Hiccup was lost.

  There was no other word for it.

  He surveyed the misty sea furtively for a dark shadow, then groaned and lied down on Toothless, closing his eyes.

  After Stoick had leaped towards Berk, pushing Skullcrusher beyond his limits, Hiccup had begrudgingly followed with the rest of the crew, uselessly trying to convince Stoick to turn around and try to find Pitch Black.

  But after they arrived on Berk, when Stoick had announced a lockdown and pushed Skullcrusher into the massive bunk, Hiccup had realised what was facing him. Stoick was serious about this Drago - he thought that Drago could pose a serious threat to Berk itself.

  Berk! The unyielding fortress that had stood for countless generations was just giving up! Cornering itself from the inside out, hiding away when Hiccup was sure that, with a squad of dragons, they could find Pitch and defeat Drago.

  But that was why Hiccup was out here. If nobody would help him, he would help himself.

  Toothless balked suddenly as Hiccup was jerked out of his daze. "Toothless, come on -"

  An ear fin smacked into Hiccup's face. "What's wrong, bud?" Toothless huffed and snarled softly, eyes darting around.

  A teal blue head drifted behind Hiccup, eyes surveying the unique pair.