Chapter 2

Dusk slowly glided circles atop of Berk, his star-scattered wings blending perfectly into the breathtaking night sky. He had been marking his targeted house for hours now, waiting for the perfect moment to attack. So far, there had been Viking guards randomly popping out of nowhere. He was already contemplating killing off a few just to speed things along, but random Vikings dropping dead would be too suspicious.

  There! The last Viking guard was moving away, probably to relieve his shift. Smirking (if dragons could smirk), Dusk glided down, making sure to reduce his speed for a quiet landing. The Sun was already peeking out from behind the mass of mountains; he had to hurry.

  Dusk slowly crept forward. He spread his wings out to become part of a shadow, then snapped his tails together, inching towards the window.

  He spotted the Viking. He was sprawled on a 'bed' with a smaller Viking, who looked strikingly familiar, for some reason. There was a midnight-black dragon on the floor whose tail was half-black, half-red, for some reason. A Night Fury! The last one in existence, most likely. He seemed oddly familiar, too...

  Shaking his head roughly - he was here to kill a Viking, not admire a Night Fury - Dusk crawled silently into the room. He snapped his pincers quietly and raised his tail to strike.

  Dusk lunged forward.

  The dragon's forest-green eyes snapped open.

  With an ear-shattering roar, the dragon leaped towards Dusk, thrusting him away. Dusk ripped his tail away - it had sank barely inches beside the huge Viking's throat. "Apologies, Fury, but please move! I don't want to harm you!"

  The big Viking had shot up and grabbed an axe. "Get outta here, Hiccup!"

  'Hiccup' was still dazed, but instead, he jumped onto the dragon. "Come on, Toothless!" 'Toothless' growled and prepared to attack Dusk again, but Dusk swept his pincers and neatly demolished a wall of the house and soared out.

  "Oh no you don't, dragon!" The big Viking yelled a battle cry and threw his axe at Dusk. Scoffing, he batted it away and fired a bolt of blazing fire at him.

  By now, the entire village was awake, tired and confused to why the Chief's house was on fire. 

  "Chief Stoick! Hiccup!" A girl with blonde scales on her head jogged towards Hiccup, axe in hand as well.

  Hiccup was coughing from the smoke. "There's a wild dragon we've gotta herd into the arena! Come on, Astrid!" A spiked Deadly Nadder squawked and let 'Astrid' hop on her. Another mind poisoned, rid of any sense of honour!

  "Don't make me do this, Night Fury!" Dusk warned. "I only wish to harm that Stoick!"

  "Calm down!" 'Toothless' called in reply. 

  "Take down that dragon!" Stoick shouted at the same time.

  With no other choice, Dusk rolled into a ball and struck the ground in front of Stoick so hard, that a small shockwave boomed, and Stoick tumbled away, groaning, as did Hiccup and Astrid.

  "Stop!" Toothless called. "Please! Don't hurt Stoick!"

  "That Viking's a murderer," Dusk snarled. "And he's been manipulating you all. Am I the only one who sees that? He's killed so many of us and you're just rolling over, showing your belly the moment he stops his rampage?"

  "He's changed!" The Nadder squawked, shielding Astrid and Stoick. 

  Dusk sneered. "I'll believe that when I see that, traitor." He inhaled ominously.

  "No!" Toothless leaped forward, protecting Hiccup and Stoick with his wings.

  A huge wave of concentrated silver flames rolled over Toothless and the Nadder, foolishly, decided to take flight with Astrid. 

  Switching directions, Dusk sent his destructive flames towards the Nadder, who shrieked in surprise and almost bucked Astrid off.

  "Stormfly! Steady, steady!" Astrid pulled the reins and Stormfly regained her balance.

  "This is taking far too long." Dusk increased his firepower. He had an abnormally long capacity for breathing fire; Dusk could fire off flames for a full minute before using up one shot. 

  Suddenly, thick green gas pooled around Dusk and he recognized Zippleback gas. A red Monstrous Nightmare and a brown Gronckle both shot a small blast of fire at Dusk and flames erupted around Dusk.

  Dusk roared and beat his wings, sending the flames spiraling away. "Farewell, Night Fury, Nadder. I'll be seeing you soon. You'll thank me eventually, when you're free from those murderers' control." 

  And with a massive flap, Dusk soared away, leaving a charred village, quite a few groaning Vikings and a very surprised Night Fury.