Chapter 49 - Phonecall

Start from the beginning

"Where are you?" I ask as I jump up quickly as Damian follows with a frown.

"At my house, please just help," he whimpers and I hand damian the phone as I get shoes on.

"Keep him on the line. Enzo's been shot," I say briefly. I quickly go out to my car as Damian gets in the passenger seat. "Call Emilio and tell everyone to get there now."

Damian picks up his phone as he keeps mine on his lap on speaker as George keeps talking to Enzo. I break many speed limits on my way as my hands shake and my mind fills with horrible scenarios.

I barley even park the car before I'm running inside George's house. I almost cry when I see Enzo laying on the floor with his head on George's lap as blood oozes out of his stomach. There's at least five bullet wounds that are all bleeding as George tries to hold a t-shirt to them.

"Damian put more pressure on the wounds," I say firmly as I kneel beside Enzo on the other side. His face is so pale and his breathing is shallow as he winces when Damian presses on his stomach. He's looking up at George with a terrified look that I've never seen on my cousin's face before.

"You'll be okay," I say and he slowly turns his head to look at me. His eyes are half closed as he lifts his hand for me to hold. I grab it tightly as his blood gets on my clothes and he coughs. More of the red substance drips down his chin as he starts gasping for air.

"Please Enzo! Stay awake for me baby," George begs as tears flood his face. "You're okay, you're going to be fine."

He's sweating and shivering as his hand stays loose in mine. Damian has blood all over his hands from where he is holding the shirt onto Enzo's stomach. Enzo's breathing gets faster and more desperate as George keeps whispering words to him.

"I love you baby, you've got to stay awake. We were going to move to Italy remember? We would live by the beach and get a dog we can walk on a morning. You've got to stay awake for that. Please Enzo," George says as his voice breaks into a weak tone. Enzo opens his mouth like he's trying to talk but more blood spills out.

"I love... y-you," he gasps out. Enzo looks up at me and gives my hand a weak squeeze before he does one loud gasp and then closes his eyes. His body falls still and his hand in mine goes limp.

"Enzo! Lorenzo wake up!" I say as my cousins and Emilio turn up. Giovanni falls at his side and checks for a pulse as tears start to build up in my eyes.

"He's gone," Gio says quietly. George lets out a sob as his body shakes violently and he holds onto Enzo's body tightly.

"What happened?" Emilio asks as he looks between us.

"The cops who were messing with us turned up and- and they held me down as they shot Enzo to teach me a lesson," George says quickly between sobs.

Rage fills me as I let go of Enzo's hand and pull the gun from my suit and point it at George.

"This is your fault! How could you let them do that!" I shout angrily as tears flood down my face. Damian takes a step towards me as George shakes his head as he hugs my dead cousin's head close to him.

"Vinny put the gun down, this isn't George's fault," Damian says carefully.

"It is his fault! If he had just left Enzo alone we would not be here!" I shout as my finger settles on the trigger. Suddenly I'm engulfed in a hug as Damian takes the gun from my hand and gives it to Matteo.