Coming Up Spades

"Tristan."

I spit milk everywhere and yelp. I shut the fridge to find ma standing there. I wipe off my mouth, just about crushing the carton I'm drinking from in my hand.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"What did you think would happen?" I snap at her, putting the carton down and grabbing a paper towel from off the counter to wipe myself with. "It's midnight and you snuck up on me in a dark kitchen. You're lucky I didn't go Tarantino on your ass."

Once I'm done and I see her expression in the dim light, I frown. I toss the towels in the trash and then sit down. She wringing her hands.

I haven't seen her like this for awhile. And I don't even mean under duress--I mean how she's dressed. She's wearing a fluffy pink bathrobe with equally fluffy pink slippers, and her hair is done up in pink rollers. It's strangely endearing. She definitely looks all the stereotypical Greek woman of her age, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

"What's wrong? Couldn't sleep?"

She shakes her head and sits at the counter with me. "You?"

I cough and look to the side. I'm sure as shit not about to tell her the actual reason I'm still awake. "No."

She smirks at me. "Why do I get the feeling if Orion knew you were drinking from the milk carton, you'd be in very big trouble?"

I had never thought of that to be honest. But she was right. A slow grin spreads across my mouth. "Our little secret?"

She laughs quietly. "Sure. I'm sure he'll find out eventually. Your dad does the same thing--it drives me crazy."

Now I laugh quietly. When I'm done I look at her. "What's got ya up, ma?"

"I think your fiance is mad at me."

"Well..." Hm. How to handle this? "You did show up unannounced."

"I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. I'm only trying to help. If it's too much of an inconvenience, I can book a flight back in the morning--"

I reach across and pat her hand. "Next time just give us advanced notice. Please. Okay?"

"So he is mad at me?"

She looks near tears. I sigh and run a hand through my hair. "Perhaps the word 'mad' is too harsh."

"I don't want to start off on the wrong foot with my son-in-law."

I pat her hand again. "If you're really that worried about it, talk to him."

"I can't--"

I narrow my eyes. "Talk to him."

Before she can reply I go back upstairs.

~

"Well, I just thought teal dyed calla lilies would go really nice with both of your complexions."

Nervously I glance at Orion in time to see his eye twitch. This was now the third thing in an hour my ma didn't agree with. I gulp and look over at Amy who, for the past hour, has slowly turned into a stone statue. She's barely even blinking now.

I think I can hear Orion grind his teeth before he speaks in a very restrained fashion. "I appreciate the input and I will take it under consideration."

"I mean, you know," my mom continues. "You're so pale...The black and red is a bit morbid, don't you think?"

"Classic. I think the word you're looking for is classic."