Chapter 1

Kit Herondale woke up by the alarm of his clock.
He slowly opened his eyes and heard soft murmurs.
A smile spread on his face, as he slowly rose up to his feet, and then put on a shirt and jeans.
The noises grew louder as he got to the kitchen.
„Good morning Kit," Tessa said and ruffled his blonde hair.
„Tessa, he is eighteen years old, do you really think he likes you to ruffle his hair?" Jem said in a low, soft voice.
Kit always gets surprised by the amount of love they had for each other.
Every time when Tessa enters the room, Jem had to catch his breath.
„Oh Honey, I know! But Mina is also growing so fast," she looked almost sad, as If she would remember something.
Kit suspected that she thought about James and Lucie Herondale, her kids, wich she left because she was so devestated about her husbands death.
Someone was pulling at Kits jeans.
„Kit!" Mina said, excitedly and jumped up and down.
He immediately picked her up and spun her around. She squeaked and then laughed in excitement.
To Kit, Mina was like a sister, although they were not related, he had seen her grow up and loved her ever since she was born.
Three years ago he had always sneaked into her room at night when she cried, because she didn't want Jem and Tessa to wake up.  
Then he helf her in his arms and watched her, and kept her in his arms until she stopped cying. Often he still stayed at her bed and watched her some more time.
Tessa and Jem did help him get through a lot of problems of his.
One of them being Tiberius Nero Blackthorn, the boy he used to love.
Since the three years that passed, he had other relationships and got over the crush he had.
Still, he thought of Ty sometimes and wondered what he did now.
If he was happy and maybe also had relationships...
No, Kit thought, do not think about him like this! You haven't even seen him in three years.
Actually he only had seen his twin Livvy three years ago, where she visited him.
He wanted to remember Ty smiling, happy, he just didn't care for Kit, but was a good person after all.
„Kit? Is everything alright?" Jem asked, with a concerned look on his face.
„Everything is fine," he replied and continued, „actually I have something to tell you,"
„What is is?" Tessa asked with a much calmer look on her face than Jem had.
„I want to attend my travel year...and since you guys told me so much about Will Herondale I wanted to go to the London Institute," he said and it was true, they had told him everything he wanted to know about Jem's Parabatai and Tessa's past husband.
He also wanted to learn about new places and get to know other shadowhunters.
Tessa looked puzzled, „Doesn't some old lady run it?"
„No, she died one year ago, now a family runs it, a few people are also eighteen."
Jem looked almost sad, „If you really want to do this, we cannot stop you,"
He said.
„Guys, I'll come back, I promise," Kit said „You gave me a home when I had no one, you gave me a family. Do you really think I would turn my back to you?"
„Never," Tessa said and gave him a little smile.
„Don't want Kit go!" Mina exclaimed.
Kit knelt on his knees, looked her in the eyes and said, „I will come back to you Min-Min, sooner as you think,"
She hugged him tight and Kit closed his eyes.
When he got up, Mina in his arms, Jem asked , „When will you leave?"
„Tomorrow," Kit said, „It was very spontaneous,"
„You know what that means right?", Tessa said with a big grin on her face.
Kit grinned in response and Mina shouted, „Movie night!"
They watched movies every Friday since three years, it had been like a tradition to them since.
Last week, they agreed that they would watch a movie called „Little Women", it was about this girl named Jo, and about her sisters, Meg, Amy and Beth.
Tessa was the most excited about the movie and when they picked it she said, „Read the book", and Kit countered with, „Soon watched the movie,"
Jem had just looked confused as always when they said this.
„Okay, so Kit, today we're not going to train," Jem said „I bet you want to spend some more time with Mina before you go,"
Tessa just nodded, her eyes showed sadness, and Kit knew it was because he's going to leave, but he wanted to tell her that he is coming back, always coming back to them.

Until they had lunch, he played with Mina.
She basically loved everything to play with but she especially liked the mini violin Jem had bought her a few weeks ago.
Of course she couldn't play yet, she made horrible sounds with that violin but she loved it anyways.
Her eyes always widened when Jem played with his own violin, as if she could feel the passion behind it.
At Lunch they sat on the table and talked.
„Don't you want to say goodbye to your friends?" Tessa asked Kit.
„I wanted to spend the time I have left with you," Kit answered.
Tessa's grey eyes widened with disbelief , but then she grinned at him.
„You can go, Kit. I'm sure they'll be mad If you don't say goodbye," Tessa said.
„Yeah." He said, „I can't blame them,"
Of course he loved his friend and wanted to say goodbye, but he wanted to spend as much time as he could at home- with Tessa, Jem and Mina.
He would miss them a lot but on the other hand, he was only leaving for one year, and that was a short amount of time.
After they ate their food, Kit helped Jem to put the plates in the dishwasher, then he looked outside.
It was raining, so he had to take a jacket with him.

Amelia was already waiting for him, her hair already wet from the rain.
„Finally Kit!" She said, hugging him.
„I'm sorry...but I bought cookies for us," he pointed out.
„Everyone knows that I am not the one obsessed with cookies!"
„Yeah so maybe, just maybe, I bought them more for myself than for you," he responded, laughing.
She shot a grin at him, and then shivered because the rain brought the cold with it.
Then she seemed like she remembered something, „Kit, you wanted to tell me something serious?" she said.
„Oh, I forgot about that," he said, a lie.
Amelia was his best friend, and he didn't want to leave her here in Devon, and to be true, he was a little afraid of her reaction.
„Just say it Kit, I know you didn't forget," she said, rolling her eyes.
„I'm going to attend my travel year, Lia," he mumbled, looking on the ground, „I'm going to leave tomorrow."
„Tomorrow?", she blurted out.
„Yes, I just told Jem and Tessa," Kit felt guilty because he hadn't told his family and Lia earlier.
She cursed in Spanish under her breath, and shot him a side glance.
„I am sorry, Lia," he said „but I was afraid how you would react."
„It's okay, you should've just told me earlier."
It got darker outside, the sun ready to set.
„We are watching ‚little women' tonight, do you wanna come?" He asked his dearest friend, hoping she'd say yes, so that he could spend the last night with all of them together.
She just nodded in response and followed him as he turned around, to go home.

As they got to the house Kit lived in, Tessa and Jem didn't seem to be surprised Lia had come.
They loved her from the moment they first met her.
„Lia sweetheart," Tessa said, „come inside!"
When they took off their jackets they settled on the sofa and Tessa turned on the movie.
Of course they made popcorn before they sat on the sofa and Kit was eating his beloved cookies.
„I've read the book." Tessa said, already knowing what Kit's response would be.
„Well, I've soon watched the movie."
As the movie progressed Jem had cried at a certain death of a character.
„Jem? Are you crying?", Kit asked but Jem just responded that he had something in his eyes.
„Oh, both eyes?" Kit asked.
„I meant allergy of course," Jem said, laughed and they all joined in.
They watched the movie and it got late because they also discussed with whom Laurie should've ended up with.
It got late but Lia was a grown shadowhunter who could defend herself.
A bit later, when Lia had gone home, they all went to sleep, each hugging Kit tightly.