Chapter One

M A R E E N A

My empty stomach rumbles loudly and I wince at the feeling. Nothing but stomach fluid bounces around in my stomach. When your stomach is basically empty and a loud rumble goes through it it's not the best feeling.

The sun shines and the chilly wind blows as I sit on the corner holding a sign that says 'money for food and lady products. Any little bit helps' people pass me by or glance at me and keep walking. Every glance I catch I send a smile their way. Sometimes I get a smile back, other times people look taken aback.

I lick my dry and chapped lips when the scent of the gyro truck across the street passed my nose. My stomach grumbles louder at the smell of food. I haven't eaten in two days, and if I don't eat soon I might pass out.

Hundreds of people pass by the busy streets of Times Square and chatter, honks, and other sounds of commotion echo through the streets. I get a couple of quarters dropped in my coffee cup occasionally and I smile and say God bless you to each person.

It's been about 3 years since I've been on the streets. 3 years of praying, begging and smiling through the sorrow. When I look at the other homeless well houseless people they usually look solemn and hopeless. I say houseless because I have a home. A home I going to after my time on earth is done— Heaven. I also believe that GOD has a home for me on this earth. I'm just waiting for it to be revealed.

Throughout the years I've picked up some good ways to spend my money and get things I need. Around this time of month is when I really budget my money. Lady products tend to be expensive and do it yourself sanitary napkins are not the most efficient way to manage my monthly cycle.

I pick at my loose jeans that I bought from a Goodwill sale. They are ripped up a little due to my living conditions but they keep my legs warm at night. The cool breeze slips into the holes in my clothes and I shiver.

A while ago I managed to snag a baggy grey hoodie from a family who was throwing old clothes away. The hood came in handy on rainy days and windy nights.

Black fingerless gloves are on my hands.My black combat boots have help up over the years excluding the beat up soles.I have two shirts, a blue dirty fuzzy blanket and a pair of old sweatpants in my old distressed grey book bag. I find somewhere to wash up whenever I can but some people aren't so welcoming to homeless people.

A long line started to form at the gyro truck and I stare at the people until I see a hand waving in my peripheral vision. I look next to the gyro truck to see my friend Henry waving at me with his free hand. The other hand is holding on to a homemade leash tied around his pit bull Ellie's neck.

When I first became homeless I met him in an alleyway. He shared half of a pizza he had bought with me and ever since we've been good friends. On the streets most people stay to themselves. As long as they eat as much as they can they don't want another person leeching off of their 'income'. Henry and I stick together and share like a family. Really he has become like family to me.

I smile and wave back at him. His slightly dirty face turns up with a grin. Although I might not see it now I have a feeling he is charmingly handsome.He five years older than me at 27 and from the things he's told me he's been through a lot in his years.

It's a blessing to have a friend like him. He jogs across the busy street and takes a seat next to me. Ellie situates herself in my lap and gives me doggy kisses on my face.