The greater good

"Adrian," Ravenna called as they crossed the winding paths of his home. "I am actually barely standing for weariness," she admitted, the events of the day having spent her. "I should wish to retire."

"Do you know your way back to the chamber I showed you?" he asked.

"I do not."

"Then follow me," Alucard sighed, his stride quickening as Ravenna hastened in turn.

She was astounded to see they soon reached a suspended bridge, linking two of the great towers of the castle together. Ravenna had also been unaware that they were so high above ground, and as they crossed the metal and stone wrought bridge, her brimming curiosity won. The young woman slowed her steps until she stood in the middle of the bridge, turning to gaze upon the dark lands spread before her. "The world is beautiful from up here," and at that moment, it was. Grey and white mists shrouded the forest, ghostly legions rising in the night. The cold light of a brilliant moon drowned the stars, layering the endless sky in changing shades of dark blue. The warm winds of summer flew in streams, caressing her skin, and Ravenna was rapt, leaning forward against the stone balustrade.

"Yes," his soft voice reached her, meshing with the silence, "and it is also a long way down." Alucard had also ceased walking and was regarding the scenery some ways from her.

Ravenna allowed herself a small smile. She propped her forearms against the stone and leaned slightly over, staring out into the endless world. There was music this night, rising from the forest without. They were regaled with songs of life, and gusts of air carrying fragrances of the season reached them from down below. Ravenna closed her eyes and reveled in the mild breeze straying through her hair. How could such a lifeless place commune and exist here, alongside such vivid expressions of being?

"I feel stronger of body now. I wish to depart tomorrow," Ravenna spoke in the end, gathering her nerve. She knew little of his ways and could preempt even less, but felt as though her request had to be stated sooner rather than later.

Alucard also leaned forward, resting with his arms crossed against the edge. It was still such an alien sentiment, to witness this foreign view from the castle. Sypha had commanded it to move here, nearly on top of the Belmont Estate during their frantic pursuit of Dracula. Thoughts brimmed and receded, and in passing, he realized the Belmont ruins were not at all visible from this side of the castle.

He regarded the sight before them, wondering at all and nothing. Wondering why the scent of her veins was so strong he sensed it incessantly, and now the restless night blew its strangeness straight towards him. It had not been so with any of the other humans. There was a certain flavor he could not place, and it rankled him, though he had no need for blood to maintain his strength. His gaze swept from the mountains looming in the distance to rest upon her profile. This one was rather young for such a task as she claimed to complete. His own age, perhaps? "I will not impede you from leaving, if that is your concern," Alucard spoke, still watching her. He saw her attempt to rein in the quiver to her limbs.

Ravenna breathed in relief. "That is good to know. And I-," she added swiftly, her words dying briefly when their eyes met, "I think it was kind of you to aid me with my sickness and peril. Despite your welcoming at the entrance, and your obvious disdain for life in general," she said in a lighter tone. Perhaps Wallachian nights made her bolder.

The blond huffed in good humored annoyance. "Though I wonder how you will manage, seeing what surprises this land had readied for you until presently. This is a wild country, its people burdened by darkness and political turmoil. How did you make it here alone?" Alucard voiced with honest curiosity, turning his gaze to the moon and absently counting its visible craters, a habit gained when watching the skies with his father during his brief childhood.