So little

Ravenna struggled to regain her inner balance, breathing deeply and regularly. She was standing on her own two feet, having survived yet another night creature mauling. The thought came with glimpses of fire and horrified cries rising on a misty night. The beast moved so swiftly she had not even the time to utter a single word before being trapped in its reptilian gaze. Ravenna shivered involuntarily as she advanced, following the strangest being she had stumbled upon in this part of the world. The woman dared a glance at him under her lashes. Just when Ravenna thought that was to be her end, the stifling weight and force keeping her submerged disappeared, and she had wasted not a beat crawling to the bank, to safety.

Her eyes trailed over his grim bearing. He had prevented her demise. What left its mark on her was the prompt manner in which her host savagely dispensed with the creature, using nothing but his bare hands. It had all come in such sharp opposition to that rather frail and near ethereal appearance. Yes, this one would surely stand out in a crowd, and perhaps it was... better, that he adopted this solitary lifestyle? She doubted it did him any good, though.

Adrian relinquished his support once they had entered the castle, and now Ravenna was stumbling forward in a stunted, uneasy gait. She was also woefully aware of how naked, exposed and bootless she was as he led them slowly up a spiral staircase. None of them spoke, and both seemed content to wallow in their own flavor of silence for the time being. The pair came to a straight hallway and continued on for a while, their footsteps echoing loud and lonesome on the darkened tiles. This was one of the more torn down and ravaged parts of the castle, and the young woman had to be careful not to step into any of the sharp or ragged pieces of debris.

"What happened here?" Ravenna asked, if only to relieve her own mind of the strain owed to the recent happenings.

"Father and I," Adrian replied after moments.

There was a sharp chill wafting through their surroundings, and Ravenna shuddered beneath her coat. She fastened it tighter around her waist, pushing forward with her arms crossed. And then she remembered the last of what Adrian had said before the attack.

I killed him.

His own father. Admittedly, that father was Dracula and there was surely more to that tale. If his response was anything to go by, all of it had passed within the confines of this castle. In their home. Ravenna wondered if he had done the same to his mother, seeing as she was also gone? She recalled the portrait of the yellow-haired woman, such joy and confidence in her eyes.

Either way, the fact of the matter was, he had saved her life again.

Try though she did to stave off the thought, Ravenna had never felt as conflicted before.

They had ceased walking, and the young woman waited as he opened a door and motioned for her to enter.

There was a bed, and the room was bright, with a wide window looking out to the forest and lands beyond. There were also wide drawers and a changing screen. An immense wardrobe cabinet rose high against one wall. It was all masterfully crafted from dark wood, and the room was accented in white and creamy nuances. Ravenna wavered at the entrance.

Adrian went farther into the chamber, appearing lost in thought. "You may use this room," he said, turning to face her. He pointed to the wardrobe. "There are garments, I think."

He then turned to leave, not sparing her a glance.

"Adrian, wait," Ravenna called, still holding his coat fastened around herself.

He stilled, his light amber eyes set on her. Ravenna noticed something she had failed to see before. He appeared bone-weary, drained. "You aided me, again."