Chapter Ten: Torrid Skies

Comenzar desde el principio

We were losing and fast. I cover Anne as best I can but how are we to get out of this?

As a solider comes rushing at me, I hear something whistling in the distance and getting louder with every second. Just before the solider made contact with me, I look up and saw a rocket heading straight for the gates. I twist awkwardly, trying to cover Anne but never make in time as the world around me was engulfed by fire and sound as I was thrown tumbling across the ground.

As I come to a rolling stop on my stomach, I could see that the missile hadn’t even left a scratch on the door, causing the explosive impact to be rebounded and land on all of us that were fighting in front of it. My vision flickers as my body was numb, beyond any realm of pain. My hearing echoes like I’m trying to focus on something far away, shattering in an echo inside a tunnel. My body wasn’t listening as I try to move, my eyes couldn’t focus on everything, as if none of this had substance, everything was surreal. Time was moving much slower than I was used to.

“Anne…?” I groan weakly as my eyes land on Anne but I couldn’t distinguish what’s happening. She looks frightened. Panic and desperate as she stares right at me. Her hands, all bloody, reach out towards me. Her voice didn’t seem to surface as the buzzing in my ears was louder than sound but her mouth was open, like she was screaming. I wanted to tell her that it was ok. But even twitching my fingers is hard. Tears had left tracks down her face that was covered in grime. She was getting further and further away from me. She was moving backwards on top of some weird greyish mass that was pulling her towards some blurry thing that had landed on the ground. I think it’s a helicopter but I don’t remember them making such an awful chopping noise as the rotating blades on top of the black body disturbed the air at a slow pace. It even left a ghost trail on my sight. Why could I hear that? It was like a heartbeat. Maybe my heartbeat?

And she was gone. Where did she go?

“-ae!”

Somewhere above me a large irritating mass was screaming down at me.

“Kae! Get it together.”

Something wet landed on my cheek. A raindrop? And time sped up again with a force that almost knocks me out. Crackle of fire, jets overhead, bestial roars, and screams of the dying and the cry of thunder all reverberate through my ears with that awful buzzing noise. I think I’d rather go back to being deaf. I also realise that the shadow in my face is Cody leaning over me. I’m still not all with it as I stare blankly up at him. There was a huge gash in his head, covered in dirt and burnt at the edges. It made me want to reach up, to see if it was too deep. If it is, I’m going to have to clean it before it heals over.

“Don’t move too much. Fuck, there’s so much blood.” So now I have his full attention? Lucky me. Next time I want him to shut up and listen, I’ll just drop a bomb on myself.

Just as he struggles to get me up onto my knees, my body leaning heavily on him, I feel his body flinch as if something had just stung him. I see something sticking out of his back which I never seen before. It was shaped like a dart but the middle had some sort of clear flask like look. I blink, realising whatever was in it was emptied into his system was making Cody lag in breath and his body strains to hold me up. But the stubborn fool still manages to hold onto me.

 “…Cody,” my voice was a hoarse whisper and died before I could tell him to let go. Whatever was in that dart was affecting him. But obviously not his stupidity.

“I’ve got you,” he hisses at me.

But just as suddenly, his warmth is snatched from my front and without it, my torso crashes back to earth. I look up in time to see two greyish blobs had a hold on Cody’s shoulders and dragging him into the back of a truck. He pulls against them, a hand breaking free and throws it out to me. I weakly reach for his hand, seeing my own arm was covered in blood, dirt and lacerations. Our fingers almost touch but then his hand moves away, the truck taking off.

“Kae!”

I was unable to support my arm and it drops.

“Kae!”

His face gets smaller the further he goes into the distance.

I see one of the soldiers that had taken him push something into his neck and Cody weakly drops. Even at this distance, I see his eyes, the same cool colour of Anne’s looking at me in such a desolate panic. His lips form my name but I couldn’t hear him properly anymore.

Then he was gone.

The rain also had the insensitivity to pick that moment to start dripping down.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

 --------------> Palm of Your Hand by Speed Limits and Jaco ft. Joni Fatora

This song has been stuck in my head while I was writing and liked the lyrics (that start about a minute in) and thought that they kinda suited the chapter