Chapter 17 - Darius - Lily

Start from the beginning

I feel her slowly relax as Garrison, Osiris, and Alister take their spots walking in front of us, Ethan at her side, Malen at mine, and the rest forming three lines behind us. Everywhere we go there's some kind of formation Garrison has them in. When we're going hunting, they form two circles around me. Riding through town means what I call "Cupid's Arrow," because six of them form a circle around me while three of them line up at the head of the circle, and the other three at the rear. Garrison loves making up formations for them to surround me in, but this time he didn't really have a choice.

After cleaning up for tonight, I found all twelve of them eating away at sweet bread and tarts in my receiving room. Vlad was the one to fill me in on the changes in which Clarice and her brother are now implementing. I was as angry as them at first, but then he kept explaining their reasons and I mellowed out. They had a similar reaction from what I could tell. They wanted to set something on fire not for the reasons that two people waltzed into the castle and are making our heads spin, but because it's actually a good idea.

They're right, again, but it still makes me mad that she didn't tell me about any of it three days ago. I'm happy that they're taking protecting me and my family seriously, but they could at least give a heads up before flipping our world on its side. I was going to yell at her for it just now, but I'm distracted at the moment, and it doesn't seem like the right time to do so.

"I wasn't going to hurt him." Clarice says through her teeth.

I blink in confusion for a second before realizing that she's referring to Gabe's earlier risky statement. A small smile rises on my cheeks at her obvious lie. She was going to sock him.

I tap her hand still on my arm. "Let us not say things we don't mean, Lily." She scowls sidelong at me. Whether from the name or the idea that I knew she was lying, I'm not sure, but if I'm being weirdly honest, I kind of like her scowl. It's so at odds with the delicacy of the mask she's wearing.

Lily is the name we settled on calling her since we couldn't use Clarice or her actual name. Though, to be fair, it was her idea, and she came up with it pretty quickly, so who's to say that isn't her real name? Her brother did look at her strangely when she suggested it. It's like they had that silent conversation that I usually have with her, only I couldn't read what they were saying. Looking at her now, Lily doesn't seem to suit her. Of course I'm sure that everyone else will believe her, but since I know who she really is and how she acts, Lily seems to be the complete opposite of that.

Letting my thoughts slip away, we turn the corner of the western wall. The sound of soft music fills my ears, accompanied by distant conversations. The willow behind the crowd has lights circling its branches, lighting up the leaves. It reminds me so much of Grandmother Adeline and how her love lit a warmth inside me that I haven't felt in a long time. If only the fireflies were the ones to make the browning leaves shine gold.

As we draw closer to the crowd I can see all their heads slowly turn to us. I'm used to being stared at, being the Crown Prince and all, but these stares are different. They're not just looking at me and the guards, but now Clarice/Lily. Their eyes drift from me, to our linked arms, and then twice over her. Katarina and Thomas did a really nice job finding matching attire for us is such little timing. I was hesitant to put on the lighter shade of green jacket with gold stitching and appliques. Thomas said that it made me look soft and apporachable. I made it clear that I didn't want be approached by anyone. I'm not entirely sure how he did it, but here we are. I think it's because of the wool lining the jacket. During colder nights like this, wool is a saviour. Makes me wonder how Clarice isn't even the least bit chilly, but I suppose the velvet fabric helps.

I can feel myself tensing as we get closer. Normally, I can put on a smile and fake my way through the night, but the possibility of the plan failing really has me on edge. The amount of times I've snuck out or pulled a prank on a servant, or Aracely, or one of the guys, I had this adrenaline rush and didn't feel worried about the consequences. But this plan and the amount of details that went into this...well, nothing I've ever done has prepared me for this. And what's my mother going to say when she finds out?