That's My Brother

Start from the beginning

"I'm game."

"Where would you want to go?"

"Anywhere. I'm not picky."

"I know. It's incredibly annoying."

"Surprise me."

"I think I have an idea, so yes, I'll surprise you."

I lay back down in the bed, and Brixton kisses me slowly. I close my eyes, not wanting this feeling to ever go away. When Brixton pulls away, I smile up at him, but he's frowning.

"What's going on?"

"I don't want to leave you."

I roll my eyes, knowing he's being lazy and nothing more.

"Oh, come on you big baby. Get out of my bed."

"Did you just call me a big baby?"

"Yes. Get up, get up, get up."

"I'll show you how much of a man I am."

"Oh yeah."

"Come here, kitten."

He sits up, reaching out to me, but the only thing I notice is his rippling muscles. I blush when Brixton realizes I'm staring. He chuckles and teases me about being embarrassed. Before he gets the chance to wrap me in his arms, I rush into my closet picking out my outfit for the day before I get a shower.  

It's not really getting hotter outside because it's the end of November, but things never really cool down that much in L.A. The mornings and evenings are pretty chilly but the days stay from around 50º to 70º, so I don't mind the temperature but I usually get really chilly in shorts nowadays.

I grab my towel before walking back out into the bedroom. I see that Brixton has gotten out of bed, but I have no idea where he is. I go into my bathroom, grab my toothbrush and paste, and turn on the water to get it to heat up. I don't like my showers super hot, but I like my skin to get slightly red. I step in the shower as steam fills up the bathroom, fogging the mirror. I sigh in relief as the water hits my chest, the racing of my heart, racing for no reason, dies down.

The one thing I hate about the shower is that I think too much. I'm always thinking too much, but most of the time I have something else to focus on. In the shower however, everything that I have to do is already a muscle memory, so there's nothing else for me to think about except everything I shouldn't be thinking about. Memories, embarrassing ones, are the worst. I could stay in the shower all day and I still wouldn't be done remembering all the times I've embarrassed myself.

I try to distract myself with other things to think about. Like school or homework or what I have to do during the day, but I always go back to the horrible stuff. Like my parents. I don't have abusive parents, but they weren't around, so I always felt out of place. I mean, I'm an adult and my parents are still saying I can't have a boyfriend. Oh, shit. Talking about that. I need to call them about Brixton. Whether or not they approve I'm going to date him, but I don't want to lie to them. I don't want to lie to them as they have lied to me.

Maybe Danny is right. Maybe they don't love me as much as I wish they would. Maybe they don't love me as much as I love them.

"Hey, kitten!"

My mind reels back to the present moment.

"Yes, brown eyes?"

"I'm going to go to my apartment to get ready for my day. I'll pick you up from Danny's around five for our surprise date."

"Alright, I might go to the store later. Do you need anything?"

"No, thanks though. I left breakfast for you on the counter."

"Thanks! Have a good day!"

"You too, kitten."

I hear my apartment door close around two minutes later, and I wrap myself in a towel. I get my clothes on and make my way to the kitchen. I see cut up watermelon and two pieces of bread toasted with butter on top. I have the most amazing boyfriend in the whole world. 

Noon: Lunch Time

Brixton P.O.V.

"Why are you so damn caught up on this girl?"

"You dated this girl, Houston. And then you cheated on her."

"She wasn't the girl for me."

"That doesn't mean you cheat on her."

"Well then you wouldn't have gotten her, brother."

"Don't call me that."

"Why are you bringing this up now?"

I take a deep breath, waiting for Houston's and my friend's reaction. They all give me a look as they wait for my answer.

"She's my girlfriend."

Houston's mouth drops open and then he smiles. I've never seen him smile so wide. He stands out of his chair and pulls me into a hug. My eyes widen in shock before I hug him back. Once he releases me and sits back down, my brother takes a sip of his beer.

"I'm so happy for you, dude."

"What? You don't care?"

"I kind of want to date Jenny, so I can't be a hypocrite."

"So, we're dating each other's ex-girlfriends. Damn."

"Well, not yet anyway. Though if you could put in a good word for me."

"Oh, come on man. Don't be an asshole."

Houston smiles at me, and we clink our one-fourth full beer glasses together. We down the rest of our drinks, smirking at one another. That's my brother. My twin brother. I'm the luckiest man to have Houston, Reign, Dexter, and Nick. Shit, my life couldn't get any better than this moment. Derek scoffs at the both of us, and I look around the table. I look at the guys who tormented Reign and are probably not going to stop. Lincoln, Derek, Kyle, Harlen, and Grady.

"I'm going to tell y'all something right now, and you better listen to me."

I wait for a second, making sure I have their attention.

"I like her, you guys. I know we've all had our differences, but I like her. A lot. She isn't what y'all like she is. She's brilliant and sweet and beautiful. That's not the point. The point is, I want this to work with her, and I've been lying. She doesn't really know that I hang out with you guys, so please don't hurt her."

Kyle rolls his eyes.

"It's not our job to protect her."

"No, it's mine. I'm grateful for that opportunity. I'm protecting her right now by saying that you lay a hand on her or say anything bad about her and I find out...I'll beat up like I did Grady in the back of an alley."

"You said we were keeping that a secret."

"I'm just trying to get my point across. She's my girl, and if you hurt, I don't care who you are. I'll beat you to shit. And Houston, thank you for letting her go because now I have a chance."

"You'll be good for her."

"Hopefully. Now, do y'all get my threat?"