Chapter One ~What's real is fake~

~Discontinued~

                                                                       Chapter One
                                                                 ~What's real is fake~

    I was once a normal kid like you. Each day I would go though my average routine of wakening up, getting dressed, grabbing a piece of toast so I’d just barely make it to school on time, going to school, and sleeping though and skipping classes. I talked with classmates occasionally, dealt with rumors about me, avoided my crush so that I wouldn’t act stupid in front of her. You know that kind of stuff. lt was all normal, till I decided to be at the wrong place at the right time. I guess I’m what you would call a delinquent. No not the stereotypical kind that get into fights all the time and hates everyone.

    I just hate school. I was never very good at it from the start so I figured, why go to it if I’m just going to fail and wind up at Burger King anyway. Yeah I’d show up for a few classes and the exams, but that was about it. Although on the days Crystal caught me shed force me to go to all my classes and checked on me after each one. It’s a bit annoying, but it lets me know she cares. I don't really get into fights and I get along with a lot of people so yeah, I just skip school is about all.

    Anyway enough about that. My normal life isn’t what I’m here to tell you about. It’s what happened during my normal life that changed my world in such a way that I could never go back. See on this particular day we had an assembly 1:30 about the “Dangers of drugs”. I knew all this crap and didn't care much for it. Maybe I’d visit them if they were worth while, but they were usually just some fat guy in goofy clothes talking about livin in a van down by the river. Like I hadn’t heard that 100 times before. So I turned away from the gym doors and went for a walk.

    As I wondered along the path that ran around the school yard I stupidly didn’t pay attention my surroundings. Then a school officer saw me. “Hey. Kid. What are you doing out here you're supposed to be on class!” he shouted. I didn’t notice him at first so he called again. “Answer me kid!” This time he got my attention. I looked up at him. He was a very intimidating man who looked like he cold tackle an elephant. Probably steroids. All I could do at the moment was stare at him. He called again. “Your trying my patience kid. Why are you out here?” “Oh I’m just um.... Looking for my pencil” I shouted back. As the words came out I realized what I said and cursed under my breath for being so stupid.

    “Out here?” he said back. I couldn't see his face but I knew he had to have an annoyed look on his face “Yeah, There’s penalty of wood out here so I figured it would try to run away here, considering it’s made of wood and all” I figured I mine as well go along with what I had said and see what would happen “There it is. BYE!” I shouted then ran away “HEY GET BACK HERE” as he said that all I could think was pft, yeah right. What kind of person would listen when told something like that.

    “KID I’M NOT PLAYING AROUND HERE!!!!”He sounded even madder then he was before. I couldn’t blame him. I knew I could be a real pain, but hey, can you really blame me for wanting to have some fun? “JUST STOP AND MAKE IT EASIER ON YOURSELF” I knew he was to far away to make out my features so If I could stay away I was fine. The only problem was the man was like three times my size and catching up fast. I went into full throttle and ran as fast as I could.

    That's when it happened. One moment I was running, the next I was falling. Everything suddenly vanished to black nothingness. The trees, the leaves, the broken branches and even the officer behind me. I hit the ground -at least that’s the only word I could use to describe it- with a loud thud. It hurt real bad and I felt stunned for a second. I started to tense up. I was just in the words being chased by someone who would likely get me expelled and now I was in a pitch black who knew what. I looked left and right. I touched my face, but I couldn’t see my hand. This wasn't good. I started to sweat, darting my eyes this way and that looking for something, anything that would tell me where I was. My only thoughts where were am I? How much space do I have? Am I going to die here? My claustrophobia was Starting to kick in. I was lying on the “ground” in extreme pain, but I still reached out. I could feel a wall not even an inch in front of my hand. I tried my foot. The same thing.

    All around me was closed in walls. I couldn’t stand it. There had to be a way out. I wasn’t about too die in this small place, There was no way, but it all seemed hopeless. I became so tense that I was unable to move. I felt like I was going to suffocate, but then the walls started to change. They started to gain color. Then the color began to gain shape. In less then a minute I was lying on the ground in front of the door of the assembly.

    I forced myself to stand up “arg. What the? Why am I back in this place?” I asked aloud knowing I would get no answer. I started to calm down and strangely my pain was leaving me to. I looked at the clock on the wall. 1:33 it read. No, no it’s not possible is what i thought. I had fallen into nothingness then wound up in front of the school’s gym doors, but now I have to add time travel onto that. There was no way to except it. I decided that I fell and hit my head witch knocked me out and I had a strange dream. I looked at my watch and wasn't happy 1:52 it read. I decided that the fall messed up my watch and quickly changed it.

    I went inside to find that everyone was finding a place to sit and the stage curtains where drawn. I decided I would stay for it just to check it out. After about an hour I knew it was a total waste of time. The only good thing about it was that it took up the rest of the school day. A let out a sigh I was walked outside another school day over. Then I heard a voice.

    “Ooohhhhh Kenchi!” I froze. There was no mistaking that voice. Sweet and innocent with a slight hint of mother to it. I knew it was Crystal without having to look back. Crystal was a childhood friend whom I happened to have a big crush on “y-yeah Crystal” I said as I turned around “WOH?!” I shouted as i took a few steps back in surprise. She was standing right behind me. I hadn’t even noticed that she had got that close. The I noticed that she had a pouty face on “what’s wrong” I asked she took a step towards me “Your always acting so nervous around me. It makes it hard to talk to you” she said with a sad tone to it “Heh. sorry”

    “Why” she asked stepping closer to me “W-what?” I asked stepping back “Why are you always so nervous around me?” she asked taking another step forward “w-well that w-would be because of” My back hit the wall when i took another step. “because of what?” She said taking another step forward I looked down at her as she stared at me with that face she has when she’s mad and sad. Her head went up to the top of my chest. “c-could you b-back up?” I asked “no” she said in a grumpy way “Not till you answer me Kenchi” I decide to pull an old stunt I used to do when I was little. I let all my muscles go limp and just fell, but apparently the fall was more then I expected and I got knocked out.

    “Kenchi? kkkkkkkeeeeeennnnnnccccchhhhhhhiiiiiiiiii? Come on wake up kecnhi” Arg. what was that voice. It was kind of annoying at the moment. My head felt like it was cracked open and noise just made it worse “Kenchi kkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeennnnnnnccccccchhhhhhiiiiiiiii?” it continued. I finally regained sight and saw crystal hovering over my face “AH!” I shouted “AHHH” she screamed and fall back. I sat up and looked at her

    She looked like she was about to cry. Crystal had always been like a little kid. “W-what was that for Kenchi” she said with a really sad tone and wiped her eyes. “Hasn’t anyone told you not to hover over someone when their waking up? It’s fricken scary” I said. “S-sowwy” she said sadly. I pated her head “It’s okay” I said with a smile “I’m sorry for scaring you”

    “It’s all right” she said with a smile. She looked at her watch “Oh no. Come with me in gotta meet with my friends” she said as she pulled me up onto my feet and then down the hallway. “w-wait why am I coming?” “Because you made me late” she answered back. After running for about 5 minutes she came to a stop. “Sowwy I’m late guys. My friend fainted and I had to wait for him to wake up” yeah like its my fault I thought. “wait a second, You guys?” “Ha ha yeah it’s us” said one of my classmates-a man named mike-with a guilty smile. “what is this?” I asked “A social group” answered a man who had just walked in. He was in one of my class, science I think, who I only slightly knew. “Although we don’t have very many members it’s still one. We use the music room title as our cover” he continued.

    “That's basically it” Mike said as he joined back into the conversation “but don’t worry. we actually have members who come here for the music club. In case music events come up were we have to play” said mike with a smile. Mike was a simple-looking man, but had a genius brain. He has always had top grades in all his classes since the sixth grade and knew how to plot things out perfectly. “Me, Crystal, and those other five are all part of a group, oh, and there’s also one more person standing in that shadowy corner. I Looked around. I also recognized Patty, Sam, and Paul, I knew them from other classes. Then there was Sheen and Katie I think it was. Although the last one had me stumped.

    “Hey! I got an idea. Why don’t you join Kenchi?” asked a little to excited Crystal “Uh.. well” I started Then she put on a really cute sad face and sad “aw come on. Pwease” I couldn’t resist her so I ended up saying okay. “YAY!” Crystal shouted then hugged me. The others just kind of smiled.

    After that my life continued normally I guess. I got up, dressed, grabbed a piece of toast, slept though and skipped classes, and talked with classmates. The only difference was I ate lunch with people now and spent time with them after school too. Then, like always, I would go home have dinner, blow off school work and do whatever. Then came night and I would go to bed to start it all over again and continue this loop till I graduated from high school, or so I thought.

    For about four days I wondered about that person in the corner. I couldn’t stand not knowing anymore so I finally asked “ Okay seriously. Who is that person in the corner over there. It’s driven me nuts man” “Oh you mean Sarah? She’s just another member. Although she doesn't do much” said Mike as he took another bite of his sandwich “well that’s for sure” I mumbled to myself. “Anyway what kind of social group is this “A normal social group” said Paul, a man with a British accent, who for some reason was eating lobster “er, yeah” I stuttered starring at his lunch wondering how much that must have costed. “Don’t worry about his lunches, the boys from a rich family so he has em all the time” said Katie who had a southern accent. Although we had a school uniform we where allowed to change it a bit-It had to be approved of corse- and she made hers like a cowboy uniform. She even somehow got allowed to where a hat to go-along with it. Mine was the original Blue Jacket, White T-shirt, and pants except I kept the jacket unbuttoned. Mikes was the original two but green-Green for high-class student. Paul Wore a green suit complete with a green shirt and tie.

    Crystal had long pink hair with a “feather” like design. She wore a black tank top with brown “Chap” sleeves with a white feather design along with blue shorts and Brown chaps on her legs that had a white heart design. On top of that he always had these goggles on her head that she never seemed to take off and a short yellow bandana like scarf around her neck. Patty, Sam, and Sheen all wore the original. They where sick today so they weren't here.

    “For a social group it’s pretty quite” I said. “Thats what happens when you’ve got nothing to talk about” said Paul “Yeah well it’s unease” I said as I went back to eating. We sat like that for all of lunch. Occasionally Crystal would try to start a conversation, but it always died out with me and Paul making smart remarks at each other. Then the bell rang. We all exchanged good-byes and went to our classes. I was happy when school finally let out.

    That night I dreamt what had happened-or what I denied had happened-that day. I woke up my heart beating fast and cover in sweat. I looked at my clock. 1:38. “Ggggrrreeeaatttt” I said aloud. “Stupid dreams” I said once again to no one and closed my eyes and slept till morning.

    The day seemed to drag on forever. Homeroom was the same as always. In math we learned some fraction crap that I didn’t pay attention to and science we had a quiz on the earths atmosphere. I skipped Social studies and did basketball in gym. I ate alone for lunch then skipped L.A. I was then bored to death in Health class. Finally the day came to an end and I meet up with everyone “Oh. Were where you during lunch?” Asked Crystal “I ate alone” I answered “had something to think about” “But” Crystal started with her pouty face “Now, now crystal. Everyone needs to be alone from time to time” said mike and that gentle smile he always had. That smile always creeped me out. Crystal hugged me “but I’m here so he doesn't need to be” “I-it’s all right C-Crystal” I stuttered. “mmmmmmmmm fine” Crystal said and let go of me.

    “So what’s up” asked Mike with the tone of voice that said I’n not asking I’m demanding. “Huh? what do you mean” I asked. “I mean what was the thing you said was bothering you” mike said. He sure was a sharp one. “Nothing important” I answered “Okay, just tell me later then” Mike was to sharp. I wasn’t going to easily be able to get out of this.

    “Well, anyway” I started I’ve got things to do so I’m just going to” “Like what?” interrupted Mike. “W-what?” “What is it you need to do I’m sure we can help you” He smiled “After all we are all in the same group, we have each others backs” I felt a shiver go up my spin. He was way to sharp. “Er well... It’s very personal and I don’t want to share it” I said with a laugh. I swear I heard Mike mad a noise from being pissed. The he smiled and said “Alright, but if you ever feel like talking just come to me, er, us and we’ll be happy to help” I felt another shiver go up my spine. I knew I needed to be careful around Mike, but I didn’t know how much until know. Maybe I still didn’t.

    I Ran off home and went inside. I sighed. Mike was going to make my life very complicated. At least all this has allowed me to talk to Crystal. The a thought accrued to me. If he was that sharp then he probably knew I liked Crystal. I thought about it and decided that Mike was a decent man and probably wouldn’t use it against me or anything. I went up to my room, grabbed my Mp3, put my headphones on and listened to music on my bed till I feel asleep.

    I woke up to my cell phone ringing. I reached over and grabbed it. “Seriously? Who is calling me this early?” I answered. I was never good with waking up. “K-kenchi” I immediately became awake “C-crystal?” I looked at my clock. 6:21 “Its a Saturday. Why are you calling me so early?” “I ran away from home and need a place to stay. My parents are fighting again” she sounded very scared. Crystal-despite being so cheery-had a bad family. No brothers or sisters and all her parents worked all the time. They fought a lot to and would usually become physical. “Yeah okay. You can come over. Just don’t ring the doorbell. It’ll wake my family. You remember were the key?” I asked. “Behind the birdhouse, in front of the frog statue, under the rock” she answered. “yeah” I answered back.

    I got out of bed and got dressed then went downstairs. I made some coffee and decided to cook up some bacon and eggs. I heard the door unlock and Crystal say o. I had finished making the food by the time she got here. Crystal came in the kitchen “Kenchi” the asked like she expected someone else. “Yeah come in. I figured you haven’t ate yet so I made some food” We sat down and ate.

    Then I came aware of what was going on. Crystal was eating with me at my house. Yeah it sounds lame, but it’s a whole lot different when your there. Thanks to the social group I joined on impulse I had been able to get along with Crystal better and talk to her normally. A week ago I would have been stuttering like crazy and acting all stupid and stuff. I sighed. Guess I had things to thank mike for.

    “Kenchi? You okay” she asked “W-w-w-what?” I stuttered in surprise. “Y-yeah I’m fine” I said it with a forced smile “anyway what happened?” She looked down and poked her eggs with her fork. “I-it’s okay. You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to” I laughed nervously. This is one of those times a person like mike would figure out everything just by looking at her. I shuttered rwalizing what I had just thought. He haunted me even at these kind of times.

    “Anyway does this social club have weekend meetings?” I asked trying to change the subject. “Yeah” she answered. “3:00 P.M. on Saturdays and 5:30 P.M. on Sundays” “Ah” was all I said after that. I drank some coffee. So what should we do now?” I asked “mmmmmmmmm. “Wanna go to the park?” she asked I smiled. She wanted something to take her mind off of her parents. She always did that. “Sure” I answered “Just let me grab some cash, in case you want to get anything” I finished up my food and ran up to my room to grab a twenty and ran back down.

    A wrote a note and placed it on the counter so my parents would know where I was and what I was doing. “So what park are we going to?” I asked. She shrugged “anyones good” I smiled “All right follow me! I know a good one” She clung to me and we walked out like that. We went to the park in between our houses and killed a few hours there

    If your wondering why I just don’t quickly explain everything and move on to what happened, it’s because of a simple reason. Plot. You have to know the who, when, where, how, and why and without explaining all this our relationships with each other, how much we know each other, and what we are to each other will be unknown. Along with how we meet and even why were a group. So sorry if my stories boring, but trust me. Later you’ll think me for explaining this. Now back to my story.

    After a while 3:00 P.M. came and we went to the music room to meet with the rest of the group. When we got there we where the last ones. “Took ya long enough” said Paul. “Enjoy you date?” asked Mike. Crystal turned red. Mikes information network was impressive and scary as always. “So thats what held ya’ll up” said Katie as she hugged Crystal. I looked at the clock. It read 3:34. “Wow. Time really does fly by fast” I said aloud “When your with a girl” Mike added in.

    I looked at him with a back off look knowing it wouldn’t affect Mike in the least. He gave me a smile that read you can’t do anything about it. We hung out and talk about all different things for a few hours. Small chat, events, Mike calculating everything so that we could get out of the up coming music event and just have the actual music members do it. After a while i decided I should tell them what happened. Maybe it might get those dreams to stop coming.

    “Hey guys could I talk to you about something?” I asked “Pft. It IS a social club you know” said Paul. I ignored him “well you see about a week ago, on the day I joined before the assembly something happened to me” “Really now” Mike said with a smile that said I have an idea about what your going to say. I Decided to go on and explain what happened. Everyone looked at me with concerned faces, like I crazy. I figured thats how they would react. After a few minutes I finished with “and thats what happened”

    “Interesting. You could make a book based off that. Oh wait there is. Miserable happiness. Good book really. I recommend it” Paul said with a smirk on his face. I was about to say something back when Mike interrupted. “Well, Mike was at the assembly that day, not sure why as he would usually just skip something like that, and for some reason he was lying on the ground before he came in” He looked at me “Isn’t that right?” I had learned to never underestimate Mike. No matter what he couldn’t be underestimated because he knew everything.

    “Well, it just doesn't sound possible” said sheen. “I know I still don’t believe it myself” I said back. “Well, it’s not like we don’t believe you Kenchi. It’s just that we can’t” Said Katie. “I know I know I wasn’t expecting you two” I said back “You just told us because you keep having dreams about it and wanted to get it off your chest?” asked Mike. He truly did know everything. “Classic case” explained Mike “happens with a lot of people. Keeping it in causes stress with makes those dreams and sharing it with someone relieves that stress”

    I stared blankly at him. Was he a doctor know? “Anyway” said patty. “You feel better after sharing that?” I looked at her. “Yes, yes I do actually” I answered “but it doesn't really matter seance no one believes me” “Well if we had a reason to believe you we would” answered Mike “and not kiddies crap. I’m talking concrete proof” “Well the only thing I could ever think of is going to the spot where it happened” I said. “but it looks like a normal spot so I doubt it would happen twice in a row” I talked with them all the while knowing they wouldn’t believe me. Still something was driving me to make them.“Yes it most likely wouldn’t, but mine as well check it out. Am I right? Mike said

    “Yeah, yeah, yeah. I’ll take you. Anyone who wants to come along Just follow me. It’s this way” I said and started to walk away. Mike followed me. Katie came along saying “Hey It sounds interesting so mine as well” Sheen came with the reason “He was bored” Paul came along to prove that I’m crazy and I copied some book he read. Sam came along with no words-Like usual, and the girl called Sarah-being Patties best-friend-came because Patty came who wanted to come because it sounded fun.

    We walked past the gym doors, outside, to the woods, then to the area where it happened. “Well, I’m pretty sure this the the area, or at least around here. I can’t be hundred percent sure though” I said as I turned toward everyone. “Well, it’s enough” said Mike “We just need to search this are. Plus if need I can figure out the exact area with a little time” Mike said “Oh? Can you really?” I asked him in a mocking tone. He didn’t answer and just looked away “DON’T IGNORE ME!” I yelled out.

    “So” Mike started as he continued to ignore me “Let’s look around shall we? See if we can find anything” “FINE DO WHATEVER!” I yelled at him. Paul leaned against a tree “I’m just here to watch. You guys can do whatever” “Aw come on Paul. Why not?” asked Patty. “Because it’s a waste of time. I may be a rich boy, but I know what’s possible and impossible by the laws of physics, and this is impossible, okay?” Paul answered. “Okay, okay. Just hope ya change your mind” She said back.

    We all searched around for what must have been a total of an hour and it was about 6:00 when Katie said “All right I give up. Sorry Kenchi but its looking bad for ya bud” “Wait! Come check this out” Sheen shouted from behind a few trees. We wall went over there. “Well, this is interesting” said Mike “I can’t believe it” said Paul “I just can’t” “...” said Sam “Can he even talk?” I said. “Looks interesting” Said Patty. Sarah Nodded “Does she EVER talk?” I asked. “This thing is creepy” said sheen. “I knew you weren’t lying Kenchi” Crystal said with a smile.

    “Well, now that that’s out of the way, what is this black hole like thing?” I asked. What we all saw was what was best explained as a hole in the ground” Everything around it was perfectly normal, but then suddenly there was nothing. The hole was strangely shaped, round but square, like a pentagon or whatever it’s called. What’s even stranger though, was that that it was sitting there, but it seemed to be moving, “Couldn’t say, I’ve never seen or heard of anything like this” said Mike

    “Oh? Something even the great Mike doesn't know” He didn’t say anything back, but he gave me a look that read this isn’t time for games. “Okay, okay I got it” I said. “Anyway what should we do about this?” “Hey why don’t you poke it Paul?” asked Patty “Wait, what? Why me?” asked Paul. “Because you didn’t help look” Answered Patty “Well, that’s true” Said Paul “Well then go on boy, touch it” said Katie. “You’re really going to force me aren't you guys?” Paul said back “Yes we are” I said with a smile and a thumbs up.

    “GAH FINE!” Paul said and slammed his foot on it. We all just stared at him with blank faces “Er” we all started laughing like crazy-well except Sam who stood there with a smile. “W-what’s so funny?” said Paul “You” answered Katie We were all laughing till everything started to change. The Colors around us started to lose shape, mix, and blend. “What the?” Said Paul “Couldn’t tell ya if i wanted to” I said. The black hole under us started to grow and eat everything around us till it was just us eight and endless blackness.

    I could see nothing. Everything was just plain black all around. Then strangely the place light up with a faint blue like light. “Um guys. You may want to look at this” came Paul’s voice. I turned around and couldn’t believe what I saw. It made no sense. There in front of me was what looked like a big floating screen and on it was something simple yet confusingly hard to get.

                                                                     ............
                                                      Good job finding this place.
                                                      I shall tell you a secret now.
                                                                        ...
                                                       What you consider real.
                                                                   Is all fake.

                                                     Enter                         Leave