Chapter 11: The Theory of Blood

Start from the beginning

Both of whom I'd only learn their names of during Aiden's speech earlier.

From what I could deduce, mermaids all seemed to have one peculiar trait, and it wasn't their fins. They had coloured hair which didn't fall into the basic browns, blondes, blacks and reds. But that also meant one thing, Jenny was also a mermaid, a fact I didn't know how I felt about.

"How about we get you something dry to change into?" I said soothingly to Tourmaline and she nodded her head but didn't release her hold, so I didn't dare set her down.

With one hand holding her to me and another rummaging through her clothes, I grabbed a pair of pyjamas and helped her dry off and change before wiping away her tears.

"He'll be alright," I whispered to her as I set her down on her bed and grabbed a hairbrush.

"You promise?" She asked as her sniffles persevered.

I held out my pinkie and she wrapped her much tinier one around my one, "Promise. Now why don't you tell me about your parents?"

That distracted her long enough as I finished braiding her hair and she laid back in her pillow with wild but tired eyes. I threw the t-shirt Aiden threw on her into the laundry basket before taking a seat on the armchair beside her bed.

"Tate?"

"Yes Tourm."

"You're not going to leave like anyone else...are you?"

Her innocent blue eyes stared up at me with so much hope that right there and then, I made a vow. I may not know what my future of friendship may hold with Aiden but neither him not anyone else would make me leave this little angel if she doesn't me to go. I'd protect her alongside Aiden, and she could count on that.

I took her hand in my own, "As long as you want me here, I'd be here. That's something you never have to worry about, alright? You don't ever need to question it because I'm certainly not going anywhere."

I was rewarded with a smile before she was lulled to sleep after facing the harrowing threat of a vampire attack.

Placing my head in my hands, I felt the ache in my chest lingering as my concern for the pack members in the water grew.

And I was still processing the very big elephant in the room which was that mermaids existed.

First vampires and now mermaids. I felt like I was living under a rock before coming to this pack. How did my family not know that mermaids were still around?

Frankly speaking, the only mention of mermaids in our supernatural library were from the ancient texts. The mer-people haven't been mentioned for over five-hundred years and to any wolf today, we'd believed they were a myth. An old legend created to make us believe that there were protectors of the sea as werewolves were the protectors of the land.

Unlike vampires, who've only disappeared a hundred years ago. The vampires were mentioned more often, they existed longer and was why we knew they roamed the earth once. But the mermaids were hidden and buried through the passage of time, only being mentioned in the stories of sailors. A mere fairy-tale.

But both species survived. They survived the evolving world and kept themselves hidden, even from the likes of wolves. As for why they're all entangled into the lives of the Oaks Pack still has me bewildered.

Also not forgetting the fact that Aiden kept the mermaid secret from me.

A light knock on the door pulled me from my reverie but as it opened, I was slightly disappointed to see that it wasn't Aiden but Calypso.