Chapter 12

Winnie paced the lab back and forth, not caring about the bruises on her leg or the cut on her forehead. Those were minor compared to Barry's injury.

"It's still numb." Barry said, looking at Caitlin.

After the day's events, Winnie made sure the little boy, named Steve, found his lost father. Then, she told Danny she would see him another day and went to check on her father, who was alright. 

The only people who didn't make it out alright was Barry and that poor man. But, it was too late for him. So, all she could do was worry about Barry, whether he would be okay or not and Winnie was freaking out.

She had been torn between staring intently at Barry's wound, wishing it away and looking away hoping it would be gone. She didn't like this, she didn't like seeing him in pain. She sat down on a chair and wrapped her arms around her knees, hugging them tight to her chest.

"It's presenting itself like third degree frostbite." Caitlin explained.

"I thought he had hyper healing?" Felicity asked.

"It's been slowed. If your cells weren't regenerating at the rate they are, your blood vessels would have frozen solid and the nerve damage would have been permanent. You're lucky to be alive." Caitlin told everyone.

Hearing those words, Winnie had to squeeze her eyes shut, only one thought ringing throughout her mind, Barry could have died.

"Snart wasn't another metahuman." Barry said getting up, "He had some kind of gun, froze things." 

He walked over to where Winnie was sitting to pick up his jacket. He could see her panicking and placed one hand on her shoulder, trying to calm her nerves. "Slowed me down. Enough that I wasn't in time to save someone."

Carefully, she placed a hand back over his to try and make him feel better as well. She wanted him to know that she was there for him because she knew the weight that Barry would be carrying on his shoulders. The feeling that he could have done better but, he couldn't.

Barry leaned closer to her and could feel something send shivers through his body. His wound didn't feel all that bad with Winnie comforting him. She yawned feeling tired, probably from the day's events.

"According to his records, Snart didn't even bother to finish high school, so how did he build a hand held, high tech snow machine?" Felicity asked, looking over to Dr. Wells for guidance.

"Star Labs built a cold gun." Dr. Wells answered quietly.

Cisco stood up, no way was he letting others take the blame for something he did, "Dr. Wells and Caitlin had nothing to do with this. I built the gun." 

Cisco looked scared and angry at himself, Winnie knew that he never meant to hurt anyone. She could feel Barry's hand tighten, he was angry. Confused.

"You did? Why?" He asked putting his jacket back down, now staring pointedly at his friend

"Because speed and cold are opposites. Temperature is measuresd by how quickly the atoms of something are oscillating. The faster they are the hotter it is. And when things are cold, they're slower on the atomic level. When there's no movement at all it's called absolute zero."

Barry finished off Cisco's sentence at the same time. Winnie wasn't surprised, Barry did major in multiple sciences after all.

She could feel the betrayal radiating off of Barry. She didn't like this. She didn't want any of her friends to be at odds with one another. She lifted up her other hand to try and calm him, to let him make her feel relaxed. To let everyone try and understand what was going on but, Barry moved his hand off of her shoulder.