Recovery

Akari's POV

   "Is Izuku still in his room?" Ryuu asked me. 

   I nodded, letting out a worried sigh. Everyone groaned, all seeming very concerned.

   Izuku had been holed up in his room ever since that one day he returned. He yelled at us, demanding for an answer, going on about what the Keeper had told him. Out of frustration, I had yelled back.

   "Yes! It's all true! You killed your mother, you killed your father! You never belonged here in the first place!"

   Izuku had seemed very shocked when I had replied like that. It was when he started crying that I snapped back to reality. I wanted to apologize to him, but he had pushed me away and locked himself in his room.

   I felt very regretful since then. The other kitsunes were too...Actually, everybody was. The teachers, Izuku's previous classmates, even Bakugou.

   Perhaps, if I'd been more careful with my words back then, Izuku wouldn't be as hurt as he was. He was obviously sensitive and scared by the sudden news he had been given by the Keeper. And I yelled at him, which would just add on to his pain.

   "Bro...You were a bit harsh with your words..." Ikari nudged. "Apologize to him."

   "You think I haven't tried? I tried to talk to him several times but he never opened the door. Not even for Eri." I frowned. 

   I glanced at the small child who was currently quietly drinking milk. Eri has also been upset since Izuku locked himself in his room. She had also tried, several times, to get Izuku to come out, but nothing worked.

   "He hasn't been eating either...How long has this been going on?" Kaede asked. 

   "I think almost two weeks..." I mumbled. "He's going to die at this rate."

   Everyone fell silent once I got those words out. The atmosphere got more darker and it was suffocating. I stood up, slapping my hands on the table to gain the attention of everyone in the room.

   "...We messed up..." I muttered, scrunching up my nose. "Come on...Let's go."

   "Go? Where to?" Kohaku asked. 

   "What do you mean, 'where to?!' We're going to talk to Izuku." I snapped. 

   "Well, he's not going to simply open the door for us." Kou snorted.

   "Then I'm going to break the door open! This gloominess ends today and we'll clear out the misunderstandings." I stated, making a fist of determination. 

Time Skip

   I sucked in a deep breath before  knocking on the door. Like our previous attempts, there was no answer. I frowned, my eyebrow twitching slightly. I breathed to steady myself and I knocked again. 

   "Izuku...Please open the door..." I said, leaning towards the door. 

   No reply.

   "Izuku. Open the door." I demanded, a bit more loudly.

   Again. No reply.

   "OPEN THE FRICK FRACKING DOOR, YOU IDIOT!" I yelled.

   No reply.

   I felt my eyes twitching more visibly. Ikari and the others stepped back and I lifted up my foot. I kicked the door, sending it flying off it's hinges. It landed in the room with a loud 'thud,' and I stomped into the quiet, dark room. It was quite cold in there, I have to say. 

   Izuku was in the corner, hugging his knees and his head buried in between his arms. He slowly looked up at me and I was shocked. 

   He had looked pale and hurt when he had returned, wet from the rain that night. However, now, he seems much worse, if that was even possible.

   Izuku had bags under his eyes, his eyes dull. He no longer had the bright glimmer that I used to admire so much, his eyes seemed so...empty. The usual sassy expression he wore was no where to be found, only to be replaced with one that was stripped of any emotion. His lips were dry and cracked, the pink hue that had once tinted his lips had turned a dull purple.

   Izuku seemed very thin as well. I could see his bones and the color was drained from him. His hands were abnormally cold, shaking as he tried to push me away. His arms shook as he struggled against my grasp. I forced him to look at me.

   Every single bit of color was gone. Every single drop of life was sucked away from him. He looked like a living corpse. Nothing like the Izuku I used to know.

   "G-Go...away..." Izuku said.

   His voice was hoarse and it barely came out. It also sounded very strained.

   "Izuku...Please..." I cried, tears falling down my face. I held onto his shoulders tightly. "Please...We're sorry. Just please, I can't bear to see you go on like this..."

   "...Go away...Leave m-me alone." Izuku choked out. He looked away from me. "I d-don't...want to t-talk to you...right now."

   I frowned but forced him to look at me again. He stared lifelessly at me and I stared into his empty eyes. It pained me to see him in this state. 

   Before he could say something, I pulled him into a hug. Izuku stayed still for a while but he soon started hiccupping. Worried, I pulled away, only to see him crying again. Tears streamed down his face and he quickly tried to wipe them away.

   I grabbed his hands and pulled him into another hug. This time, the others joined in and wrapped themselves around Izuku. Izuku cried harder, hugging back. 

   "I'm sorry...We're sorry, Izuku." Masako said softly, patting his hair. "We're all sorry."

   "And we are all worried. Everyone, even Bakugou was worried about you." Chieko said. "Please, we won't force you to do anything you're not comfortable with for now but please...At least eat something."

   Yuu quickly gave Izuku a tray of food and Izuku stared blankly at the tray for a while before hesitantly lifting a spoon. We all stared at him as he started eating, observing him so that he doesn't leave a single piece of rice left.

   Izuu looked up at us after finishing his food. He didn't say anything, he simply stared at us. 

   "...We're sorry..." I said. 

   "It's fine...It couldn't have been helped." Izuku replied, looking away. "Perhaps, it was fated to be that way...But..."

   Izuku paused, taking in a few breathes before he turned his gaze back towards us. He gave us a bitter, pained smile, another stream of tears rolling down his face.

   "I would've appreciated it if you guys were the first one to tell me..."