Chapter 6

Nothing Compares 2 U - Prince

Tony was in his workshop, music blasting around him. He was trying to come up with a surprise for Steve. Their anniversary was approaching and he wanted to do something special for his boyfriend. His thoughts drifted off to how Steve was so good to him. And the fact that he's in a stable relationship with him.

He snapped out of his thoughts when music was cut off by Jarvis. "Sir, there's someone at the door looking for the Captain." Jarvis spoke.

A hologram of the security camera appeared beside him. Tony squinted his eyes trying to decipher who would visit them. The visitor's face couldn't be seen as he was wearing a cap and his long hair blocking his face.

The stranger turned his head side to side before he finally saw the camera and Tony saw his face. "Sergeant Barnes?" Tony cocked his head to the right a little, his brows knitting together in confusion. "Shouldn't he be in Shield?"

"According to my scans sir, it is indeed Sergeant Barnes. He has been permitted to go outside Shield by Director Fury."

Jarvis wasn't even finished when Tony was already in the elevator that would take him upstairs. "Jarvis, tell Steve to come here now." Tony made his way to the mansion's gates. Barnes was standing there looking at the billionaire with curiosity.

Barnes hesitated before speaking. "Tony... uh... Hi."

The both of them hadn't really spoken to each other. Anyone that could trigger the winter soldier out of Barnes had not been allowed to visit him. And with the whole 'hydra killed Tony's parents and the winter soldier was the one to do it', Tony wasn't allowed anywhere near him.

Steve came, with a grin on his face and running to the gates before Tony could even utter a single word. Jarvis took this as his cue to open the gates.

They hugged each other while Tony awkwardly stood behind Steve, his hands behind his back and rocking back and forth on his heels.

"Bucky, this is Tony. Howard's son." Steve said.

"Yeah yeah, I know. Never really thought Howard would settle down and have a family." He smiled at the sergeant and nodded. "Tony Stark, pleased to meet you." He held out his hand and Bucky shook it.

"James Barnes. You can call me Bucky." He smiled as he let go of Tony's hand.

Steve moved to Tony's side as they walked back to the mansion. They both held hands as they walked and Bucky gave Steve a look that most definitely meant 'We'll talk about whatever's happening between the two of you and I'll support you whatever it is'

"So, Bucky," Steve started. "What brings you here? I thought you were still getting treated from whatever hydra did to you?"

A few months before the battle of New York, James Barnes was found by S.H.I.E.L.D. and Steve. They successfully captured him and with the help of Stark Tech. For the past 3 years, Bucky was getting treated from the brainwashing that he went through at Hydra. He was supposed to join the Avengers in fighting off the Chitauri and Loki but Director Nick Fury and the other people of S.H.I.E.L.D. didn't want to risk triggering the Winter Soldier out of Barnes again.

"Nick said it was safe for me to go now and I wanted to visit you." Bucky smiled at Steve.

The both of them talked about what has happened in their lives for the past 3 years while Tony chose to have a conversation with his thoughts.

----------

A day passed when Tony and Bucky had a conversation of their own. Tony was down in his lab, working on the latest StarkPhones.

"Sir, Sergeant Barnes wishes to speak with you." Jarvis said. He looked away from his holograms and turned his attention to the glass doorway where Bucky can be seen.

"Let him in J."

Bucky heard the door unlock. He hesitated. It wasn't too late to turn back now right? Was it? He knows he should do this but fear gets the better of people sometimes. He stared at the handle of the doors for a moment. He took a deep breath and opened the door with his head down.

"Is there anything you need?"

Silence.

It made Tony a little uncomfortable. He wanted to run out of the lab and into Steve's arms but the mechanical whirs of his machine made his mind at ease.

Bucky finally made eye contact with Tony and took another deep breath in. "Tony, I'm sorry about your parents." He noticed the engineer's shoulders tense a bit but relaxed again.

Tony was over his parents' death. At least he thought he was. But now that Bucky was right here in front of him, he wanted to punch the guy in the face. No. He didn't want to do this. No.

"I'm gonna be honest with you, it's not fine." Bucky winced at Tony's words. It was barely there but he noticed it. "But with time, I'm willing to forgive you. Just give me time. That's all I ask."

Bucky's face lightened up a little. He nodded with a small smile plastered on his face. "Thank you Tony." He would do everything in his power to have Tony's forgiveness. This was his second chance in life and he didn't want to waste it.

-----------
Will Bucky affect Tony and Steve's relationship??? :)