District 2 Reaping (14)

A/N: do you like the music fragments I put up here sometimes or no?

Belinda Birdflight's (escort) P.O.V:

The fourteen year olds before me don't look terribly happy to be here. Even so, I display a broad smile as I begin. "Welcome, all! It is time to select a male and female tribute of the age fourteen to compete in the 150th Hunger Games! Let's select a male tribute first!" My blue heels clack in the utter silence as I walk over to the glass Reaping ball. I swish the papers around a bit before reaching to the very bottom and selecting a slip. I slowly unfold it and read the lucky boy. Mario Espan.

But before I can even say his full name, a crisp, "I VOLUNTEER!" Rings throughout the square. I glance up and see a tall, muscular boy with dark brown hair jogs up to me.

"Name, please?" I request.

"Frenandes French," he responds. "And your lips are chapped."

I gasp, taken aback. My lips, chapped?! I coated them with fresh blue lipstick just a few minutes ago in the Justice Building! Oh no, maybe I should switch brands! Now that I think about it, I recall that this lipstick was a recommendation from Venus Verrymerry, District 4's escort! I will never trust her to purchase good lipstick ever again! It is certainly time to go back to Lulianjarsa's Lip-stuff, not this awful Balm, Stick, and More brand! Lulianjarsa was always more reliable, anyway.

Running my tongue over my lips, I prepare myself to chastise Frenandes, but then remember that I am still in the process of Reaping a female tribute. I briskly turn my back on Mr. French and pluck a slip from the top of the pile. "Harley Jean Werthy!" I read quickly.

A shift goes through the crowd, and I call out the girl's name again uneasily. "Harley Jean Werthy?"

A sudden movement from the section of girls catches my eye. A short, blond girl steps out into the open uneasily. "Harley Jean died this morning," the girl gulps.

I swallow repulsively. "Oh my. What is your name, young newsbearer?"

"Eclair Macaron.."

"Come on up, Eclair Macaron! You will be our female tribute for these Games!"

Eclair stares at me in horror. "What?" She gasps, and darts back into the throng of girls. Three Peacekeepers chase after her, and eventually catch her after a short game of chase, as the girls steer clear of the Peacekeepers but don't make it easy for Eclair to get through the tightly knit people. I almost feel sorry for the screaming girl as she is dumped unceremoniously next to me. I grin widely for the cameras, and take both tribute's hands as Eclair gets to her feet.

"Our District 2 tributes- Frenandes French and Eclair Macaron!"