Chapter 1

It was lunchtime, and I was sitting next to the cafeteria window gazing out of it. I had my hand on my face, and I was just picking at my school lunch. It was raining out, and it had been all day long.

"It's still raining, huh?" My best friend asked while she glanced towards the window and then back at me.

"Yeah, it's been raining since 3am." I replied, turning my focus to her. She was sitting across from me with her hands folded on each other, resting her cheek on them. She was looking at me with a warm gaze and a soft smile.

"Aren't you happy about it, since you like the rain so much?"
I glanced towards the window and then back at her nodding. She giggled at my response and went back to eating her lunch.

After some time, the school day came to an end. I let some time pass before I gathered my belongings and stood up to leave the classroom. As I was walking through the halls, I glanced out of a window and noticed the rain had died down ever so slightly. I smiled a little bit. Exiting the school grounds, I noticed a small necklace laying on the ground. I squatted down and picked it up to examine it. The necklace had a thin gold chain with a pendant on it. The pendant itself was an orange flower encased in what seemed to be clear resin. The pendant was held onto the necklace by a gold ring that looped around the whole thing. It was a very pretty necklace. I stood up and looked around to see if there was anyone around who could have dropped it. Seeing no one in the general vicinity, I just put the necklace in my bag and decided to turn it into the office Tomorrow.

As I was walking, I felt a sort of unease, almost as though someone or something was watching me. The feeling of dread only grew stronger as I felt more eyes on me. I tried to walk faster to see if that would ease the drowning feeling, but it didn't. I stopped in my tracks and took a deep breath. I turned around only to be faced with an empty street. Dumbfounded, I anxiously looked around only to find further proof that I must have been imagining the feeling. I rubbed the back of my head, feeling stupid for how I acted. I continued to walk back to my house, but the feeling of unease never left.

Upon arriving home, I opened the door. I don't normally lock it when I leave or when I get home because of how nice the neighborhood is, but that feeling just wasn't leaving. I made sure to lock the door before taking off my shoes and going upstairs to my bedroom. I set my bag on my bed and walked over to my window. It was a relatively large window, and the curtains I had blocked out all the light and reached my floor. I gently pushed the curtains aside and made sure that my window was locked before placing the curtains back in their original position. I then proceeded to follow the same procedure with every single window in the house, as well as locking all of the doors that could be used to enter the house. It was a little extreme, yeah, but it's better safe than sorry, right?

After locking everything, I sat down on the couch and sighed. Where did that feeling come from? And why hasn't it gone away? I'm safe in my home, after all, and I have my dog with me. I looked over at my dog, who was curled up into a ball next to me. I smiled and got up to put out some more food for him.

I walked into the kitchen and opened the cabinet I kept his food in. Thud. I jumped at the sudden sound and looked up. What was that? I felt something brush against my leg and looked down. It was my dog. He had run over to me and stood between my legs barking at the window. I became anxious when I looked over towards the window. Did I not lock it completely? I slowly crept over to the window to investigate the noise, my dog following behind me. I let out a sigh of relief upon seeing that the window was, in fact, closed and locked and that it was just a picture frame that had fallen onto the countertop that made the sudden noise.

"It's okay, don't worry. It's just a picture frame." I said while squatting down to pet my brave little dog. He just stared at me and looked away. Weird.

Relieved, I walked back over to the cabinet and got his food, and put it into his bowl. He ran over to his bowl and started to eat his food. Smiling, I went back upstairs to my bedroom to change out of my school clothes. After changing, I walked over to my door and opened it so it'd be slightly ajar. Then I walked back over to my bed and sat on the edge, pulling out my phone to look at my notifications. I didn't have anything school related to do, so I decided to just scroll through different social media until I got too bored of them.

Hours had passed when I woke up, and I realized I had fallen asleep whilst endlessly scrolling. I turned on my phone to check the time, 1:27am. I grabbed my charger and plugged my phone in since it was about to die and looked around my bed to see if my dog had come into my room. It didn't take long for me to spot him laying down next to where my feet had just been. I reached over and petted him before getting up to go to the bathroom. I carefully opened my door just enough to slip out of it, and then I closed it. Standing in front of my door, I waited for a few moments to let my eyes adjust to the darkness. The silence of the house was broken by quiet whispering. What's that? The sinking feeling that I had felt earlier in the day came back to me as a sudden wave brought on by the noise. I took a deep breath and walked to the top of the staircase and looked down. The moonlight illuminated the bottom of the staircase and some of the floor next to it. Too afraid to venture down the stairs, I slowly crept to the bathroom and quietly entered. I flicked on the light and let out a small sigh while making sure to lock the door. I brushed my teeth and then washed my face. Maybe I just imagined the whispering, I just woke up after all. I'm probably just delirious because of how tired I am. I finished up and dried my hands on my shirt before I unlocked the door and turned the lights back off.

Stepping out into the hallway felt like stepping into the depths of a freezing rushing river. The temperature of the hallway was drastically different from what it was moments ago. The feeling of the hallway changed from one of quiet woods to that of a testing hall. I had only taken one step before I was frozen in place. There was a figure at the base of the staircase. I held my breath as I knelt down and analyzed the figure. It was a taller man, roughly 6 feet, maybe, and he looked to be well built. The shadows cast from the moonlight didn't allow for much of his face to be seen. Squinting though, I thought I could see a mole on his cheek. After I finished examining him, he took a step onto the stairs. I could feel my heart drop. I lifted my shaky hands up to my mouth to keep from letting out a sound. He was only on the stairs for a few seconds before he stepped back down and walked out of sight.

I waited a couple of seconds before I quietly ran back to my room. Upon entering my room, I locked my door and attempted to push my desk in front of it. Rushing over to my nightstand and opening one of the drawers, I frantically searched for the pocket knife I had. Once I had it in my hands, I opened it and carefully picked up my sleeping dog and walked over to my closet. I opened it and carefully set him down on some clothes I had on the ground before I closed the door. I don't want to risk him getting hurt. I walked back to my bed and turned on my phone, and pulled up the phone app. I felt my body tense up as I felt a sudden change in my room's temperature. I quickly turned around and came face to face with the man from earlier. I didn't even have time to think as I felt a warm liquid oozing onto my hands. I knew it could only be one thing. Blood.

Word Count: 1,545