Chapter 4

My heart dropped as he slowly shifted his gaze to me and spoke. "She's beautiful isn't she?"

I felt like a deer caught in headlights as I stood there. The man had me trapped by the grip he had on my shoulder and the fear he gave me. I just stared at him with wide eyes as he kept his eyes locked with mine while he kept that eerie smile on his face. Quickly his smile began to fade as I felt him slowly tightening his grip on my shoulder. The more intense it got the more I could feel the pain setting in.

"Are you going to answer me?" The man's voice was cold as he spoke but had a slight softness to it.

I felt his grip soften and his hand fall from my shoulder as I began to open my mouth to speak. Quickly I shut my mouth and just nodded as a response and looked towards the ground. I heard an amused chuckle come from the man followed by the taping of footsteps that would stop in front of me. He squatted down to look me in the eyes and analyzed my person, and I did the same to him. His face looked to be extremely friendly and almost puppy-like in its appearance., in the current situation he came off more cold than anything. His eyes looked soft, while his remaining features were more sharp and prominent. While he was observing my every detail he was unconsciously biting his lip. Eventually, he licked his lips and stood straight up, my gaze following him.

He gave me a smirk before speaking, " Stay here, gorgeous." With that, he gave me a wink and then disappeared.

I just stood there dumbfounded by what just happened. What is going on? Who was that? I collected myself and began to cautiously walk to one of the doors across from the statue. The door was large, almost reaching the base of the second floor, it was covered in gold, and was one of those fancy double doors.I grabbed the door's handle and opened it, it swung open with surprising ease. The grand door revealed a large hallway that looked to go on for miles, the walls were a white and one side was lined with doors that looked similar to the grandiose door that revealed the hall in the first place, and the other was lined with different paintings. There were chandeliers hanging from the ceiling every couple of doors, but they weren't lit. The only light in the hallway came from the few candles that were attached to the walls. I felt goosebumps form on my body as I began to make my way down the hall. As I walked, that familiar unsettling feeling of eyes watching me came back.

My feet came to a stop when I passed one specific painting. I turned around and took a few steps to stand in the center of the painting. It was the same woman that was depicted on the statue. The painting and the statue showed the same scene: the "Queen" sitting down with a somber expression on her face, her hair laying in waves with a small crown resting on her head, and the decapitated head of a man. The only difference between the two was that now in the painting she was looking at the viewer, not the head. Even the hollow eyes of the man seemed to be staring at the onlooker as well. The longer I looked at the painting, the more sick to my stomach I felt. Despite the darkness of the room, every gorey detail on the painting popped out and demanded attention due to how realistic it appeared. I stared at the painting for a bit longer, unable to take my eyes off of it due to how sick it was. Suddenly a strange scent came fluttering down the hall. I began walking in the direction of the aroma, glancing back at the painting as I walked and then quickly regretting doing the small action. Is she...smiling at me? My steps unconsciously began to hasten.

I swiftly reached the room where the peculiar smell originated from. One of the doors to the room was cracked open ever so slightly and a ray of light was snaking through it. As I brought my face closer to the door, I was overwhelmed with the smell of metal. I gagged a bit at the sudden punch my nose got, and covered it as I peered through the crack in the door. It's blood but just how much is there for it to be that pungent? I tried to absorb as much information as I could through the small crack. I didn't want to go in there until I was certain that it was clear, what if whatever caused that much blood to be spilt is in there? The room was surprisingly well lit, with a singular chandelier. Starting on the right side of the room, I couldn't see anything that could be the cause of the odor, only a small round table sat against the wall with a vase containing a singular black rose. Slowly my eyes moved over to the left side of the room. I felt a small gasp escape my throat as I saw the pool of blood that was seeping out from under the rug laying on the floor. The rug was a deep red color, presumably due to the blood as there were a few white specs visible, and on top of it was a mound of something that had been covered with a white sheet. The longer I looked, the more blood that seeped into the once white sheet and onto the floor.

Suddenly a shadow began to swiftly make its way towards the doors. I took in a sharp breath and pulled away from the door. I looked down at the door handles and watched as one slowly began to turn and I quickly pressed myself up against the adjoined wall. I held my breath as the door's hinges began to scream out, the door slowly making its way closer to me. The cries of the door stopped and my eyes wandered over to the that escaped through the small crack created by the hinges. I could see the shape of a man standing in the doorway, but now I had a slightly better view into the left side of the room. There was a red couch, and sitting down on it was another man. The way he sat made him look relaxed but slightly annoyed. He was sitting sideways on the couch with one leg on it, he was slouched against the arm of the coach and had one arm resting on the back, his head leaning onto his fist. I tried squinting to make out his face, but the door slowly began to close. I let out a small sigh as the door closed and began to question everything that was going on. Who are these people- are they even people? Who is this "Queen" character and why is she everywhere you look here? The blood... Why is there so much, what did it even come from, why are those guys acting so calm about it? And that pendant... this all started because of it, but why?

I lingered in front of the door for a few seconds before I carried on my way down the hall. The metallic scent that filled the hallway slowly disappeared the further I got from the door, leaving the sound of footsteps to be the only thing filling the dark hallway. Eventually, the hallway came to an end. The end of the hall was marked by a staircase that seemed to wrap around behind the room it was next to. Cautiously, I made my way up the stairs. The view at the top of the stairs mimicked that of the hallway I had just been in, only now there were some small windows that allowed for some moonlight to illuminate the dreary halls. I once again began to walk the halls, only now feeling more vulnerable due to the higher visibility. Walking through the halls for a few minutes, I came across a room that had its doors wide open, light pouring out of it. I carefully approached the room and peaked my head around one of the doors.

Scanning the room, I couldn't see anybody in there. I stepped inside and began to look around the room more closely. There was a couch in the middle of the room and off to the sides of it were arm chairs. They all faced a table that sat in the middle of the semi-circle they created. Both of the shorter walls had large mirrors on them that faced each other, creating a sort of infinity effect, and under them were tables that once again held a vase with a singular black rose. On the far wall facing the door was a painting of the "Queen" depicted in the same way as all the others. I walked over to the couch and stood behind it to look at the table. On the table was yet again the same thing, a vase holding a single black rose, but there was also a small mirror laying there.

"Why are there so many mirrors?" I mumbled to myself. Before I could move a muscle, a hand was placed on the couch next to me and a voice spoke.

"Have you been waiting?"

My body tensed as the voice entered my ears. I looked up and glanced towards one of the mirrors. My eyes widened and I felt my heart drop into my stomach when I didn't see anyone standing behind me. I looked back down at the hand that sat inches away from mine and slowly began to turn around. In front of me, just inches away from my face, was a man. His face was very fox-like in its appearance and he had 3 moles on the left side of his face: one under his eye, one on his cheek, and one on his brow bone. His expression was dark and his eyes scanned my face. Pretty quickly, he pulled away from me and gave a smile causing his round cheeks to shine. I felt my cheeks heat up a little bit due to the cute smile he gave. His whole aura shifted from that of mystery to one of a familiar friendliness just by a single smile.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you." He just kept smiling and tilted his head a little bit while talking. "Oh, I'm Sunoo! Nice to meet you!"

"Yea... nice to meet you too?" I mumbled my response as he walked over to the doors, looked out into the hallway, and then closed the doors. He walked back over to me and the comforting smile he held on his face faded.

"You shouldn't be here, you know." His brows furrowed a bit as he continued to speak. "They're going to look for you up there if they haven't already. It's dangerous down here."

I looked at him while he spoke, he looked oddly concerned for someone he doesn't know anything about. He wasn't smiling anymore and had a slight frown on his face while he looked down at me. He opened his mouth to speak, but stopped. His eyes shot up and he turned to face the door. He walked closer to me and grabbed both of my arms and looked into my eyes.

"You need to hide. Now."

Word Count: 1,942