31

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE ˎˊ˗

It took forever for Kalila to convince her dad that her going over to the Salvatore Boarding House was perfectly safe, and all she was going to do was help them go through the rest of Isobel's research. Even then, he opted to come with her. Ever since she was on the literal brink of death, he's been wary about letting her out of his sight. She supposed she understood, but that didn't make it any less annoying.

"Hey, Saltzman and Co.!" Damon called from his spot at the table completely surrounded by all kinds of research, stacks of books on either side of them.

"Which one is 'Co.'?" her dad asked as Kalila snorted, setting down Isobel's research on the table as she plopped down on the couch.

"You know, Alaric, I think you probably shouldn't ask," Damon smirked.

"I'm the 'Co.'" her dad grumbled before his attention turned to the person entering the room. "Jeremy?" he asked, and Kalila turned to look too. "What are you doing here?"

Kalila sat up, turning to look at Damon, who just held his hands up in surrender. "Don't look at me! Little Gilbert said he had some fun news to share, so I told him to wait for you two." Still, Kalila rolled her eyes, sending Damon a glare before turning back to Jeremy.

"He's right," Jeremy confirmed Damon's words. "I've been spending time with Tyler, and I know all about the werewolves and the rest of the Lockwood Family. For some reason, Mason is obsessed with finding this thing called a moonstone, so Tyler took it."

Damon sat up at that. "Moonstone? As in the one that seals the vampire/werewolf curse?"

"Yeah." Jeremy nodded. "I think that I could get it from him so we can learn more about it."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Kalila interrupted. "If Mason is a werewolf, then Tyler is a werewolf. We can't send you to steal something from a werewolf."

"Tyler's not a werewolf. Not yet, at least. He has the gene, and the curse is only activated if he kills someone."

"Oh...okay," Kalila sighed as the new information made her even more confused. Vampires took her a long time to even comprehend as something that was real, but now werewolves? What was next? Ghosts? She shook the thought out of her head, trying not to think about what else could be going bump in the night, or hell, even right in front of her face. "I guess that's okay."

Jeremy laughed. "You're one of my best friends, Kalila, but I don't need your permission."

"Annoying, isn't it?" Damon just barely had enough time to get that sentence out before he was met with a pillow being chucked at his face. "Okay, okay, but seriously, Little Gilbert. Kalila and Elena will kill me if anything happens to you, so for my sake, don't get yourself killed."