27

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN ˎˊ˗

"I still don't like this," Kalila's dad mumbled under his breath as she opened the front door of the Salvatore Boarding House with her key. Kalila had been invited over for questions about Isobel's research, and she had to practically beg her dad to come with her since he technically knew her research front to back. However, her dad really wasn't in the mood to come.

"Oh, come on, it'll be fun," she teased as she led him into the front room.

"Yeah, unless Damon decides to kill you again," he said pointedly, this time directly to Damon as he sat down on the couch next to his daughter, Damon sitting across from them.

The vampire smirked. "Ric, I would never harm your daughter," he said sarcastically as Kalila just gave him a look.

"You've literally killed both of us," Kalila snorted, rolling her eyes. Elena came into the room next, sitting next to Damon who just smiled at her in the devilish way that he often does. Elena looked frazzled though, and ignored him. Stefan followed only seconds later, and he looked just the same as Elena. Kalila raised an eyebrow as he sat on the other side of her, but he just smiled and patted her leg quickly before removing himself from her. She sighed inwardly as Elena began to talk.

"So we found out from Caroline that Tyler was affected from the Gilbert invention and that's why he crashed the car." She paused, her eyes flicking to Stefan's quickly before focusing back on them. Kalila looked between them suspiciously, but her half-sister continued on. "Is there any other supernatural creature that she researched that could be affected by it?"

Kalila turned to her dad as they had a silent conversation between each other. "You think?" she asked and he nodded.

"Makes sense."

"Do we have it?"

"Yeah, it's there."

"Hello?" Damon asked sarcastically as her and her dad shifted their attention away from each other to him instead. "We don't understand this weird Saltzman communication."

"Right," Kalila said, clearing her throat. "Isobel did some research on lycanthropy."

"Lycanthropy?" Elena asked. "You mean, like...werewolves?"

"Werewolves," her dad confirmed. "All of her research is at Duke since she's still technically a missing person's case and not dead. I could call her grad student and see if we could come by and look through some of it." Kalila frowned at the thought of going back to her mom's office. She hadn't been there since they had taken the Mystic Falls research and came here when they thought she was dead.

"You with us, Tiny?" Damon asked, snapping her attention back to the group, who were all looking at her. "I asked if you wanted to come with us to Duke."