28

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT ˎˊ˗

"Why do I always get invited to the lunch parties with the adults but never to the girly teen hangouts?" Kalila pouted as she put the last plate down on the table. Damon had invited her along to Jenna's barbecue, and as Elena and Caroline were in the other room, she had taken up the duty of setting the table while Damon watched from the kitchen and pelted her with pretzels.

"I'm not even going to validate that with a response," he quipped as he tossed another pretzel at her, this one stinging as it came in contact with her skin.

"Ow!" she yelped, grabbing her arm. "You do realize that your pretzels feel like airsoft bullets, right?"

Damon smirked mischievously. "Of course, Tiny. That's why it's so fun."

"Remind me to kill you after we get through this."

"Will do."

Kalila wasn't stupid. She knew that there were two reasons Damon had invited her. One, Mason Lockwood was the guest of honor, and with her dad's help, they were going to pull a full reconnaissance mission. And two, she hadn't stopped moping around her house about Stefan, and Damon made sure today was the first day she had put on pants that weren't of the pajama variety after a lot of convincing. Needless to say, she wasn't very willing to go spend time at the house of the girl that Stefan made out with right in front of her.

Stefan had tried to call, of course. But that didn't mean she had to answer.

"Hey, Kal." Kalila smiled as her dad walked in through the back door carrying a plate of burgers as he placed a kiss on her forehead. Mason and Jenna followed after him, laughing like they were just the best of buds.

She watched with a grimace as her dad then moved onto Jenna, giving her a kiss on the cheek as he set the burgers down. Gross.

"Thank you for inviting me, Alaric," Mason said with a smile as Damon came to stand next to her, the two of them watching the potential werewolf as he seemed to behave like a regular person. Though, the vampires in this town pass for regular people easily, so it probably wasn't that much harder for werewolves to do the same.

"Well, I thought it would be nice to meet my girlfriend's friends from high school," her dad said, his smile not at all genuine. Grosser.

It was a lot easier for Kalila to tolerate Jenna and her dad when she thought it was just to find out about Mystic Falls, but now that she knows it's for real, it's gross. She liked Jenna, she did, but her dad dating was just...well, gross. She had just barely started processing that she was an unwanted daughter of her vampire mom when she had to consider that she could have a step mom in a few year's time. Grossest.

"You're glaring," Damon whispered, nudging her stomach with his elbow. Her face immediately relaxed, plastering on a fake smile. "That's creepy." She rolled her eyes but kept the smile as she followed suit of everyone else, grabbing a plate and making her food, which would hopefully distract her from all things Jenna and Alaric.