Chapter 30 - Departure

The days quickly passed, and it was finally the morning when Yuki and Kai would set off for the Elder Forest.

It was a 10 day journey, with planned stops every evening at inns along the way. The last two days of the journey, a carriage was unable to pass through the paths to the Forest, and so Yuki and Kai would have to travel by foot.

Because Althea had also discovered Kai's dark magic, she wasn't too surprised when Yuki told her that he also wanted to go to the Elder Forest to train, and possibly even get accepted as the Onyx Dragon's disciple.

Of course, that didn't mean she was happy to send her precious granddaughter alone with a stranger.

As Yuki stepped out of the mansion dressed in comfortable travel clothing, her sword strapped to her waist, her bow secured on her back, and a small bag slung over her shoulders, she was greeted by a small crowd of Althea, Flaire, Ronan, and Lina waiting in a line in front of the carriage that would be taking her and Kai most of the way.

As she slowly walked up to them, it suddenly hit Yuki that this would be the first time she would be away from her Grandmother, Flaire, Ronan, and Lina in 5 years. Her precious family... she was leaving for at least 3 years, if not more.

A lump formed in Yuki's throat, making it difficult to breathe. Yuki swallowed hard and her hands clenched at her sides as she walked up to the group.

Lina stepped forward first. Her eyes and nose were red and puffy from crying and tears filled her eyes as she faced Yuki.

"Young Miss." Lina sniffled. Grabbing Yuki's hands, Lina stuffed a small handmade pouch into her hands. Inside, it was filled with common medicine, bandages, painkillers, and some dried meats and fruits. "You always get yourself hurt and in trouble, so hopefully this will help you when you need it most."

"Thank you Lina, I will make sure to use it." Yuki smiled and gently squeezed Lina's hands. "Wait for me to come back now, before you do anything. Especially before you get married, you must wait for my return, okay? I have to interrogate the man and make sure he's the one for you before sending you off."

Lina's body stiffened and her facial expression froze slightly, but Yuki missed it as she looked down at the pouch in her hand.

"Of course Young Miss." Lina said, a hint of sadness in her tone.

"Thank you for taking care of me all these years." Yuki sincerely said.

The two girls hugged, before Yuki pulled away. Yuki softly patted Lina's head, before walking up to Ronan who was waiting a few steps away with one arm behind his back.

"Uncle." Yuki greeted.

"Yuki." Ronan's familiar smile was on his face. He slowly revealed what he was hiding behind his back. It was a black, warm cloak with silver and gold trimmings. It was plain, but just right for Yuki's taste.

He immediately placed the cloak around Yuki's shoulders, fastening a small, silver 16 point star at the nape of her neck to keep it in place.

As she touched the cloak, Yuki noticed how soft yet warm, sturdy yet light it was. Perfect for traveling.

"Look." Ronan said, a smile on his face. Reaching down, he turned out one side of the cloak to reveal a hidden pocket.

Yuki's face lit up. One thing that made it so troublesome to wear a skirt or a dress was... the lack of pockets! But with this, she didnt have to worry about not having any. "I love it Uncle, thank you so much."

Leaning down, he gently pulled her into a hug. "Be careful out there, Yuki. We'll be waiting for your return."

"Mmhm." Leaning back to take in Ronan's face, the lump in Yuki's throat seemed to grow. Swallowing hard, she glanced to the side where Flaire was waiting.