Prologue

There was nothing like having a dead body permanently flaunted on his body.

For monsters, dead bodies were... unsettling. Very unsettling. When monsters died, their souls broke, causing them to lose magic in order to keep their physical form before they would dust away into nothing. They left nothing behind.

Humans were different. They left their bodies, a reminder of what happened. It was horrible to think about. Their souls gone, but their bodies would just rot... Like some type of old food, wasting away into nothing.

What was more unsettling was how it was on Sans' arm.

No, it wasn't hidden away. Right smack dab on the middle of his right radius was a dead body. His soul mate mark, on his arm, was a dead body with its chest ripped open and it was stuffed with little candies.

What a great image to have permanently tattooed onto his arm.

It wasn't the only one, though. As if Sans would ever get that lucky. Not one, not two, but nine tattoos were stationed on his body. Nine.

The most anyone ever had before was three, and even that had been amazing at the time. And their soulmate tattoos were actually normal. Cute, small, quirky things that everyone had gushed at. A piano, a cute dog face, small things.

It was weird, getting tattoos of ones soulmate. When a person was born, a tattoo representing their soulmate would appear on their body. Something they liked or did, something about them that would allow you to pinpoint them. Humans and monsters were born with the symbols of their soulmate or mates. Sans wasn't exactly sure what led to it, but he knew it had to deal with souls and their magical connections. Everyone in the world was connected, souls all humming as one as life continued on throughout the days. When souls alike were found to be bondable, they created the tattoos on people's bodies.

Sans wasn't really sure. Everyone had been staring at him that day when the teacher had been talking about it, so Sans hadn't been paying attention much.

The dead body wasn't the only concerning tattoo. After all, he had eight more, so naturally there was more unusual ones.

A bloody hatchet sat on his left femur bone. Blood stained the edge.

A creepy blue mask with black voids rested on the middle of his sternum. Black liquid dripped down the mask from where the eyes were.

Black female lips were on his right hand. They were pulled into a smirk.

The paintbrush could be found on his left foot. It was painting a line in a red color that looked suspiciously like blood, as the rest of the handle was also covered in the liquid.

A weird circle with an x through it was located on his right scapula. Honestly, Sans had no idea what it even meant.

A camera was located on his right tibia. The light was on, and it looked to be a more old fashioned model.

Balloons wrapped around his left ring finger. They reached the tip before exploding into a variety of colors. Sans actually really liked this one, it looked pretty nice.

The final tattoo was the forest. It started at the base of his neck and crept upwards until it reached his cheek, stopping just an inch below his eye socket. It was the biggest, and most detailed of them all. The image displayed a dark forest night, with thick pine trees resting below a black sky and full, glowing moon.

They all looked nice and detailed, sure, but it was hard to walk around with all of them. The hatchet and the body really threw people off, not to mention his abundance of tattoos made people crowd around him. When he wore his blue hoodie and basketball shorts, along with white gloves and pink slippers, the only mark visible was the forest. When Sans discovered that he could use certain monster makeup to cover the marks on his bones, boy did he jump onto that.

It wasn't like he was against the idea of a soulmate, it's just that... he didn't want to put in effort to find them. In the slightest. Sans was lazy, so lazy he didn't want to give effort to another relationship. Watching Papyrus having worked months just to manage to see Mettaton was exhausting for the both of them. At least the two soulmates were happy now!

For Papyrus' mark, it had been easy. A simple face of Mettaton, slapped dead center onto the back of his left hand. It wasn't hard for the two to figure out they were soulmates, Mettaton's being an orange bone attack that extended over his wheel.

Alphys and Undyne had some difficulties piecing together the clues. Undyne had a large neko sword on her wrist, implying that her soulmate may have been a cat monster that used swords. Alphys had a picture of a red swirl, which was pretty nonspecific in her defense. After stumbling around for months and years, the two girls finally came together to realize the red swirl represented Undyne's hair and the sword represented Alphys' favorite anime.

Not all soulmates stuck together, either, so that meant Sans at least had the freedom to not date them if he didn't want to, which was nice. Queen Toriel and King Asgore were an example of this. It wasn't law to date your soulmate, and it wasn't frowned upon for people to prefer not date their soulmates.

Sans did like the idea of a soulmate, though. He really did. Maybe one who would just bring him things, carry him around, it was pretty nice. Where Sans didn't have to lift a finger to add any work in, it sounded promising.

Just... why nine? Why would any monster for the love of Toby Fox need nine soulmates? Either the world thought he was seriously lonely, or it thought he needed a serious gangbang.

And why were they so cryptic and bloody? Why was there a dead human body on his arm, and a giant forest on his neck and face? Balloons, too? What was he supposed to do with this? Date any clown he saw within a five mile radius underground?

That's why Sans resorted to hiding them. He didn't like attention that much, and his tattoos brought a lot of attention. With the more bloody images on his body, and the number of soulmate marks, it easily drew one's eye to him in a snap. What really had encouraged him to start hiding them was when he was holding a young Papyrus, who burst into tears when he saw the mutilated body on his arm.

And if he hid the tattoos, no one would try to comment on that. That's what people did, they looked at others markings to see if they could be possible soulmates. And if his soulmates were looking for him (he had nine of them, one was bound to probably be searching for him) then they would try to make a connection.

It worried Sans a little to think about what type of person would approach him, point to his arm, and say "That corpse on your arm sure does remind me of my hobbies."

Just a tiny bit worrying.

No one else blamed him about his hesitation. Papyrus agreed with Sans, saying the image was... rather concerning. Undyne said if Sans ever did meet the soulmate with that marking, then he should call her for his own safety.

Then came Frisk.

The kid was odd, sure, but they freed monsters from the underground. Sans did thank the kiddo, glancing off into the sunset with a small sense of worry.

In the safety of Snowdin, he had been able to avoid meeting any of his soulmates. On the surface, though...

There was a lot of humans waiting to be met, and he had a feeling one of them might be his soulmate.