Through The Dark

Ryan's Funeral, Present Day

Andrew sat in the back of the room, furthest from Ryan's body. Ryan's face was pristine, angelic. His hair was cut, there was no more long blonde hair. Rita Spencer insisted that her son looks like the handsome boy she raised. He was in the suit from prom, a single pocket square in the lightest shade of blue was visible. Andrew wore his father's leather jacket and refused to take it off at the door of the funeral home. He felt so cold seeing Ryan in that pose, the pose of someone at peace.

Scott Burgess died, the truth dying with him. Carlos Martinez was due to be tried for being an accomplice to the murder of Ryan Spencer. Friends and family of Ryan and Rita were within the room, sitting in their chairs by the casket and some against the walls. Andrew didn't recognize anyone in the room, only Rita. Her stout frame and bright red hair was the only bright thing among the sea of black and gray suits. Andrew leaned back, hugging himself.

Rita turned around and looked over to see Andrew, she let out a soft smile. She hurried over to hug Andrew. He gingerly accepts her warm embrace.

"Thank you for coming, I'm glad you made it home for the break," Rita said, "How is college going so far?"

"It's going," Andrew said. He gave a soft smile and Rita walked back to her guests. Andrew was able to go to college down in Miami, the local public university. It was the most inexpensive option and both Wilson and Anna loved the campus. Tiffany scoffed as she walked around in a shirt that displayed the local campus in Bay Port. Andrew was able to start in the summer and he moved into the freshman dorms. He often shied away from his roommates and ate his meals inside his dorm room.

Being able to come home for the funeral was a relief. Andrew was doing well in school, but he often lacked the social concepts that could help him overcome the grief that walked around with him. Anna and Wilson began to worry when they visited him the last time and he never made any friends or hung out with his roommates. Now that Andrew was back in Bay Port for Thanksgiving in November, he could be able to visit Ryan's grave one last time.

"Thank you all for coming, I know it's Thanksgiving and we are not at our homes with our families," Rita said, "But this means a lot to me. Ryan was the one gift I am always thankful for. He was such a sweet kid, a kind heart, and to see him go breaks my heart every day." Rita wiped a tear from her eyes. Everyone was slowly turning and listening to the woman standing in front of the casket. Andrew looked on as the crowd stopped and sat or stood watching her weep in front of them.

"I know Ryan won't be able to fall in love, marry, or have a family. But he has friends and family who would love and cherish him every day. His memory won't die or fade, it will just become a memory," Rita continued. Andrew looked down at the floor. The thoughts of Ryan's smile and the glimmer of hope in his eyes was enough to make Andrew smile with happiness. He would always remember Ryan, but how could he not have told his mother that he was in love with Andrew or when he was dating Scott? Surely she must have known.

"Thank you Ryan for being the son I loved," Rita finished. Everyone stayed quiet and one by one they began to walk towards the casket, looking down at Ryan and praying for his soul to go to heaven. Andrew stayed by the wall, he didn't want to start crying or becoming an embarrassment for everyone who came to say goodbye to Ryan Spencer. Andrew balled himself up in the corner of the room, holding onto his arms, trying to strain himself from any emotion.

But the one thing Andrew could agree is that Ryan was probably the first person he ever could love. He never tried dating or seeking someone else down at college, because he already had someone. Andrew looked up and saw that everyone was filing out of the room, heading towards the gravesite. Rita looked over at Andrew and stared at him.