𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐈𝐗

Start from the beginning

"Night."

He flashed me an award-winning smile and I waved as he left the room, the door swinging shut behind him. As soon as his body was out of sight, I let out a breath of relief.

The room was almost identical to Jungkook's. There was an en-suite bathroom and a huge chest of drawers and the recognisable bookshelf which, unlike Jungkook's, was completely bare. The only noticeable difference was the large tapestry that hung on the wall. The artwork was very old and a bit daunting, especially as the painting depicted a woman, whose eyes seemed to follow my every movement. I swallowed, feeling rather unsettled, and walked up to it, hastily covering the picture with a spare sheet off the bed.

I hoped that now that I had made the room less alarming, I would slip into a peaceful sleep. It was almost midnight when I realised that I'd been laying awake for hours.

I swore that I was the only one awake as the house was deadly silent and I could even hear the caw of a bird from outside my window. When the rain began to pound on the glass, as if it was calling to come inside, I sat up. This was ridiculous. I don't know why I felt so unsettled. I was literally in a house full of people with superpowers; I wasn't going to be ambushed in the night. Nonetheless, my panic didn't settle and I decided that I would distract myself by going to get a cup of water to heal my parched throat.

As soon as I stepped into the dimly lit hall, I instantly regretted my decision and wished for the comfort of the bed and it's covers. Why did they have to stay in an old mansion? Why couldn't they stay in a seaside resort or a cottage in the country?

I tiptoed through the hallway and made my way down to the kitchen, using the wall as a guide in the darkness. I felt like there was eyes constantly watching me but I shrugged it off, feeling paranoid. By the time I made it to the kitchen, I was completely spooked.

I hurriedly reached for the cupboards, pulling a few open before finding a glass and filling it to the brim with water. I took a greedy gulp as I tried to calm my racing heartbeat, which felt as though it was going to fly out from my chest any moment.

It was only when I got to the bottom of the stairwell when I heard a noise, similar to a sniffle. In a state of panic, I looked around for a weapon and grabbed the nearest object. I felt the old candlestick weep in my hand but I clutched it even harder, flourishing it before me. It wouldn't do much against an attacker but I didn't care; anything was better than having to fight with my bare fists.

I stealthily prowled towards the noise that grew louder with every second. When I saw the shape of a figure curled up in the corner of the dining room, I paused instantly as my body froze in absolute fear. This was it- me, Kim Hayeon, was going to have to fight a burglar.

I steadied my breath and deliberated my plan of action. Should I go get Jungkook? Or should I fight alone? As I was busy contemplating, a light lit up the room.

I instantly reached for the candlestick, holding it away from my chest and towards the perpetrator. It was only then when I recognised the person standing in front of me.

Min Yoongi. Min Fucking Yoongi.

"What on earth are you doing?" He asked, plucking the candlestick from my hands and lighting it, the flame allowing me to see his aggravated face.

"I was- I mean," I stumbled over my words as I stared at him in shock. "I thought someone was breaking in. Wait, are you crying?"

Yoongi's eyes were rimmed with red and, whilst it could just be exhaustion, I guessed otherwise. His mouth twisted into a scowl of fury but he didn't give anything away. He didn't fluster or wipe away the remnants of tears. Instead, he faced me with little shame.

"If I was, it doesn't have anything to do with you."

I held up my hands in surrender but felt my heart soften unintentionally. I hated seeing people in tears.

"Do you want me to get you a drink?" I asked with a lowered voice. It wasn't as if Yoongi deserved any favours but I couldn't just leave him alone when he was crying. Furthermore, he seemed to be a cold-hearted and closed person so there must be a genuine reason for him to be showing his emotions so honestly.

He almost looked annoyed but nodded anyway and I scampered back to the kitchen to fetch the promised drink. I quickly reached for the familiar cupboard, pulled out the closest cup and filled it to the brim with cool water. I wasted no time in bringing it back to the dining room where I had found him but, when I arrived, I noticed a difference to the room.

Min Yoongi was no longer stood there.

Instead, all that remained, was the flickering candle and my wounded ego. With an exhale, I blew out the candle and left the water on the table before sliding back into bed and trying to forget about the strange boy who refused comfort.